The "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products"
label signifies merchandise has passed the standards
of quality set forth by the University
and a portion of the purchase is
returned to the University.

Fresno State Licensing and Trademarks

Frequently Asked Questions

Why have a licensing program?
A trademark licensing program gives the University control over its logos and marks, thus, ensuring the quality and consistency of all of the University's merchandise. It also enables the University to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks. The revenue is used to support and enhance many programs campus wide. Outside of the University, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative and positive working relationship with the manufacturers and retailers who work with the University.

What qualifies as a trademark?
Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark.

What products can be licensed?
Students, alumni and fans generate many great ideas for new University products. Products will be considered and must be approved by the University's Trademark Licensing Office. No products will be licensed without the approval of the Trademark Licensing Office. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste and, ensures the non-approval of potentially hazardous items.

Who needs a license?
Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the University must obtain a license.

I want to sell merchandise bearing University trademarks. Do I have to be a licensed vendor?
If you wish to sell merchandise bearing University trademarks you produce, you must be a licensed vendor. However, if you wish to sell merchandise bearing University trademarks and do not produce any of the merchandise you are selling, you do not have to be a licensed vendor. With the proper business permits, anyone can sell officially licensed merchandise as long as it is purchased from a vendor licensed to produce emblematic merchandise for the University.

What if you do not get a license?
All products must be approved by the Trademark Licensing Office. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the University's Trademark Licensing Office would be grounds for the seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the University's marks. It also could result in jail time and numerous fines if convicted.

Can an alumni or student group sell products using the University's marks as a fundraiser?
Before contacting local manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the University's Trademark Licensing Office. They will be able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

Do products used for official University business have to be produced by a licensed vendor?
All products bearing a University trademark must be produced by a licensed vendor. While products intended to be sold as a fund raiser for the University are not exempt from royalties, products intended for the internal use by University Departments, Clubs and Organization may be exempt from royalties. Contact the University's Trademark Licensing Office if you have a question regarding the exemption status of product you wish to order. If your product qualifies for a royalty exemption, please download, fill out and submit the Campus Royalty Waiver Form below:


What about using the University's name or logo on a web Site?
Every use of the University's trademarks requires permission from the University and the Trademark Licensing Office. The World Wide Web has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build web pages with the University's name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control its name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in these and all instances. For more information, contact the University's Trademark Licensing Office.

Who is responsible for the program?
The person responsible for the Trademark Licensing Program at Fresno State is:

Clarence Chiong
Trademark Licensing / University Advancement
Harold H. Haak Administrative Center, Henry Madden Library - 4th Floor
5200 North Barton Avenue M/S ML 118
Fresno, CA 93740
Phone:(559) 278-4451

How can you obtain a license application?
Anyone who wishes to obtain a license to produce merchandise must submit a license application. This application informs the University of how its marks will be used, what type of product the applicant makes, how the University is going to be represented, etc. Applications can be obtained by contacting:

The Collegiate Licensing Company
1075 Peachtree Street, Suite 3300
Atlanta, GA 30309
Phone: (770) 956-0520
Fax: (770) 955-4491
Web Site:

Applications may also be downloaded through the following link:
Download License Application

What is The Collegiate Licensing Company?
The Collegiate Licensing Company is the licensing representative for the University. As the University's representative, CLC is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities for the University.

Who Is licensed with the University?
It is typically much easier to work with an established University licensee than to try and license a new product or idea. Both the University and CLC can provide you with information on the products produced by all licensees so you can match your needs with the right company. For a current list of vendors licensed to produce merchandise bearing the University's trademarks, download any of the following: