March 6, 2013
Games 12-15 • Fresno State (3-8) at Cal (5-3)
March 7-10, 2013 (1:30 p.m. PT/1:30 p.m. PT/1 p.m. PT/1 p.m. PT)
Berkeley, Calif. --- Evans Diamond
Radio: 940 AM ESPN (Paul Loeffler - Thursday/Friday/Sunday & David Lombardi- Saturday)
• Fresno State won its first series of the season over the past weekend, taking 2-of-3 at home against USC.
• Preseason All-American Aaron Judge leads the 'Dogs with a .370 batting average and .609 slugging percentage. He also holds the team lead in hits (17), home runs (2), RBIs (11) and total bases (28).
• Derick Velazquez was named Mountain West Pitcher of the Week on March 4 for games played Feb. 25-March 3, 2013.
• Freshman Tim Borst picked up his first career win on Sunday against USC.
• Fresno State and Cal last played each other in a mid-week game in 2010 - The Bears own a 63-57 all-time series advantage. The last Fresno State win against the Bears came on Feb. 22, 2004 with an 18-1 win.
• This is Fresno State's first season as a member of the Mountain West after winning seven straight Western Athletic Conference titles, including the 2012 WAC Tournament crown.
• Fresno State's Aaron Judge won the 2012 TD Ameritrade College Baseball Home Run Derby and enters the 2013 season with three Preseason All-American honors.
Fresno State Visits Cal for Four-Game Series
Fresno State travels to Cal to face its third and final opponent from the Pac-12 in its nonconference schedule for a four-game series from March 7-10. All four contests will be day games with Thursday and Friday starting at 1:30 p.m. PT and Saturday and Sunday starting at 1 p.m. PT. All four games will be broadcast on 940 AM ESPN Radio with veteran Bulldog Baseball play-by-play announcer Paul Loeffler calling the action alongside Ray O'Canto on Thursday, Friday and Sunday, while David Lombardi will provide the call on Saturday. A live audio feed will be available at www.GoBulldogs.com/AllAccess (subscription required).
About the Cal Bears
Cal enters the extended weekend series 5-7 on the season. The Bears are fresh off a trip to Texas for the Houston College Classic where they faced Baylor (L, 9-0), North Carolina (L, 11-5), Houston (W, 13-2) and Rice (L, 1-0) on consecutive days from March 1-4. The Bears went 3-0 in its home opening series on Feb. 15-17 and have not hosted a game at Evans Diamond since. Cal has gone 2-7 in its stretch way from home.
Derick Velazquez Named Mountain West Pitcher of the Week
The Fresno State right-hander earned his first career Mountain West Baseball Pitcher of the Week honor as the league's recipient for games played from Feb. 25-March 3, 2013. Velazquez, a sophomore from Los Banos, Calif., pitched a complete game to give the Bulldogs a 5-1 win on Saturday over USC in his third career start without allowing an earned run over nine strong innings of work. Velazquez had a shutout going until the final out of the contest when an unearned run crossed the plate on a walk. He surrendered seven hits and two walks to go with five strikeouts, becoming the first Bulldog pitcher to go the distance this season.
#DiamondDogs Takes Weekend Series Over USC, 2-1
After Fresno State dropped its seventh straight game in the series opener versus USC, RHP Derick Velazquez took charge on Saturday by providing the 'Dogs with a complete game win. On Sunday RHP Tim Borst got the win as the Bulldog bats lit up the scoreboard in a 14-3 win.
With a lineup featuring 11 freshman, two of which that are redshirt freshman, there's been ample opportunity for the young guns. Last time out versus San Jose State Brody Russell registered his first career home run and Aaron Gillis picked up his first start on the mound in the midweek game. On March 4 versus USC, Tim Borst posted his first career win while Kevin Viers picked up his first career RBI in the 'Dogs win over the Trojans.
If Everyday Was Sunday
The Bulldogs' Aaron Judge, a 2013 Preseason All-American, produced another Sunday statement versus USC on March 3 with four hits, including a triple, two doubles, and a single - just the home run away from recording the program's second cycle. Through the first three weeks of the season, Judge is 12-for-15 with nine RBIs in Sunday games.
The Fresno State weekend rotation of William Munro, Derick Velazquez and Tim Borst has a combined record of 3-2 and an ERA of 2.57 as a group in 56 innings pitched. The threesome has also produced 28 strikeouts with Velazquez leading all starters with 13 K's.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|