Jan. 18, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. ---After nearly four hours of grueling tennis, the Fresno State men's tennis team was edged out by Saint Mary's 4-3 on Friday afternoon at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
"Overall I thought it was a good first match for us," said first year head coach Evan Austin. "Obviously it's never fun to lose, especially when its a 4-3 and it comes down to one match. We battled hard and I'm proud of the way the guys competed all night."
To start off the afternoon, the Gaels just slipped past the 'Dogs in the doubles point. Sophomore Reid DeLaubenfels and freshman Nikolas Papic breezed at the two spot winning 8-2. Sai Kartik and Jeremy Quiroz fell at No. 1, 8-4 to split the doubles. The final court fought to a tough tie break before the Gaels claimed the doubles point with a 9-8(7-5) win on court three.
In his Fresno State debut, Papic secured his second win on the day with a 6-1, 6-3 at No. 6 singles. Shortly after, deLaubenfels put the 'Dogs on top 2-1 with a gritty 6-4, 6-4 victory at the top spot.
The Gaels bounced back to tie the score at 2-2 with the win at No. 2 over Quiroz. At No. 5, Kartik put the 'Dogs back on top after a strong 6-4, 6-3 performance. Newcomer Fritz played his way back into the match at No. 4 after dropping the first set 6-3, but fell in a second set tiebreaker which allowed Saint Mary's to tie the score at three apiece.
On court three, Junior transfer MacNeil split his first two sets 6-3, 3-6 and was forced into a third set which just so happened to begin after every other match was completed. In the third set, MacNeil fought off a hard charging Joaquin Norstrom but ultimately fell 6-2.
The 'Dogs will be back in action on Sunday as they take on Cal Poly at 10:30 a.m. and UC Riverside at 3:30 p.m. at the Wathen Tennis Center.
Saint Mary's 4, #50 Fresno State 3
1. Reid DeLaubenfels (FS) def. Jesse Kiuru (SM) 6-4, 6-4
2. Tuomas Manner (SM) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-2, 6-2
3. Joakim Norstrom (SM) def. Sam McNeil (FS) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Seif El Sherbini (SM) def. Felipe Fritz (FS) 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
5. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Samuel Bloore (SM) 6-4, 6-3
6. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Thomas Hunt (SM) 6-1, 6-3
1. Jesse Kiuru/Joakim Norstrom (SM) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 8-4
2. Reid deLaubenfels/Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Tuomas Manner/Samuel Bloore (SM) 8-2
3. Seif El Sherbini/Thomas Hunt (SM) def. Sam McNeil/Felipe Fritz (FS) 9-8 (7-5)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,2,5,4,3)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|