Jan. 18, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
MORAGA, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team came from behind to win its season opener over Cal Poly (4-3)on Saturday at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex in Moraga, Calif.
"This was a great team win for us today, "said Fresno State head coach Evan Austin. "I'm really proud of our guys for battling back after losing the doubles point and 5-of-6 sets to get the win."
Fresno State (1-0) started the day losing the doubles point to Cal Poly after dropping 2-of-3 matches. Teammates Ethan Lopez and Sai Kartik Nakireddi defeated Naveen Beasley and Gannon Daynes 6-5 in the third spot for the 'Dogs only doubles victory of the day.
The Bulldogs then came back to win 4-of-6 singles matches to defeat Cal Poly 4-3.
In the No. 1 spot, senior Sam MacNeil defeated Marco Comuzzo, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2. Kartik Nakireddi, John Darmstaedter and Nikolas Papic also won their singles points in three sets to secure the win for Fresno State.
"We know we have a number of things to improve on and are looking forward to taking momentum from this win into the match with St. Mary's tomorrow," added Austin.
The Bulldogs turn around and face St. Mary's (1-0) for their second dual match of the season tomorrow at 12 p.m. at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex.
Fresno State 4, Cal Poly 3
1. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Marco Comuzzo (CP) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Naveen Beasley (CP) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. John Darmstaedter (FS) def. Derek Klein (CP) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Corey Pang (CP) def. Eric Komati (FS) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
5. Gannon Daynes (CP) def. Ethan Lopez (FS) 6-4, 5-6, 6-2
6. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Matt Thomson (CP) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. Marco Comuzzo/Matt Thomson (CP) def. Sam MacNeil/John Darmstaedter (FS) 6-3
2. Devin Barber/Corey Pang (CP) def. Eric Komati/Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-5
3. Ethan Lopez/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Naveen Beasley/Gannon Daynes (CP) 6-5
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|