Jan. 19, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
MORAGA, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team was edged 4-3 by St. Mary's on Sunday afternoon at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex in Moraga, Calif.
Fresno State (1-1) trailed St. Mary's early in the day as the Gaels took the doubles point with wins on courts one and two.
The Bulldogs then put up a fight in singles action, winning 3-of-6 matches, though fell to St. Mary's 4-3.
Sam MacNeil, Sai Kartik Nakireddi and Freshman Ethan Lopez secured the 'Dogs three points of the day in singles play. In the No. 1 spot MacNeil defeated Joakim Norstrom in straight sets to win his second straight set of the weekend.
After splitting two matches on opening weekend of spring season, Fresno State now have two weeks off before traveling to face Oregon and Idaho in Eugene, Ore.
Saint Mary's College 4, Fresno State 3
1. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Joakim Norstrom (SMC) 6-5, 6-4
2. Tuomas Manner (SMC) def. John Darmstaedter (FS) 6-2, 6-3
3. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Samuel Bloore (SMC) 6-0, 6-3
4. Thomas Hunt (SMC) def. Eric Komati (FS) 6-3, 6-4
5. Nathan Lewis (SMC) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
6. Ethan Lopez (FS) def. Wil Martin (SMC) 6-5, 6-4
1. Joakim Norstrom/Wil Martin (SMC) def. John Darmstaedter/Sam MacNeil (FS) 6-3
2. Samuel Bloore/Thomas Hunt (SMC) def. Eric Komati/Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-4
3. Tuomas Manner/James Markiewicz (SMC) def. Ethan Lopez/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 5-3
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|