Jan. 20, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. ---The Fresno State men's tennis team split a pair of matches during Sunday's doubleheader at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. The 'Dogs first win of the year came in the second half of the doubleheader as a 4-0 sweep over UC Riverside.
After falling behind in doubles, as the 'Dogs lost at the top spot, Fresno State was resilient and captured victories on courts two and three to take the doubles point. At No. 2 Sam MacNeil and Jeremy Quiroz picked up the first win 8-5, while Sai Kartik Nakireddi and Felipe Fritz pulled ahead 8-6 in a match that was back and forth throughout the set.
In singles, the 'Dogs and Mustangs played closely contested matches with the Mustangs pulling out the win on four courts. At No. 3, MacNeil was topped by Jordan Bridge 6-2, 6-2 to even the score at one apiece. Despite battling back in the second set Quiroz's comeback wasn't quite enough, losing 6-1, 6-4. At the top spot Reid DeLaubenfels push the nationally ranked Andre Dome to three sets with a thrilling second set tiebreaker, but eventually fell 6-3, 6-7(9-11), 6-2. The Mustangs secured the win at the six spot with a three set victory.
For the second straight match the 'Dogs picked up the doubles point to have the lead heading into singles. Fresno State secured the double point in dominant fashion with an 8-3 victory at No. 1 by deLaubenfels and Papic along with the clinching court at No.2 of Quiroz and MacNeil 8-5.
The Bulldogs carried the momentum from picking up the doubles point into singles, where the 'Dogs rattled of three straight singles wins to mark the first win of the season.
Nikolas Papic added to Fresno State's point total as he was in control at the five spot in a 6-3, 6-3 win. MacNeil picked up his first dual match singles victory as a Bulldog as he rolled 6-1, 6-2 at No.4. To notch the first win in the record books for the 'Dogs, deLaubenfels took down the Highlanders with a 6-2, 6-3 win.
The 'Dogs will hit the road for their next action as they travel down to Los Angeles to play in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. The 'Dogs will join Georgia Tech, San Diego State and USC in L.A.
Cal Poly Match Results
1. #89 Andre Dome (CP) def. Reid DeLaubenfels (FS) 6-3, 6-7 (9-11), 6-2
2. Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Sam McNeil (FS) 6-2, 6-2
4. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) vs. Derek Klein (CP) 7-6 (7-5), 3-2, unfinished
5. Felipe Fritz (FS) vs. Jurgen De Jager (CP) 2-6, 7-5, 2-0, unfinished
6. Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
1. Jordan Bridge/Andre Dome (CP) def. Reid deLaubenfels/Nikolas Papic (FS) 8-1
2. Sam McNeil/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) def. Matt Thompson/Jordan Kepler (CP) 8-5
3. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Felipe Fritz (FS) def. Jurgen De Jager/Marco Comuzzo (CP) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,2,1,6)
UC Riverside Match Results
1. Reid DeLaubenfels (FS) def. Jimmy Roberts (UCR) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) vs. Julian Ruffin (UCR) 0-6, 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
3. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) vs. Luis Gastao (UCR) 6-7 (5-7), unfinished
4. Sam McNeil (FS) def. Calvin Ngo (UCR) 6-1, 6-2
5. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Kevin Griffin (UCR) 6-3, 6-3
6. Felipe Fritz (FS) vs. Kelly Dickson (UCR) 6-3, 4-0, unfinished
1. Reid deLaubenfels/Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Kevin Griffin/Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) 8-3
2. Sam McNeil/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) def. Julian Ruffin/Calvin Ngo (UCR) 8-5
3. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Felipe Fritz (FS) vs. Jimmy Roberts/Simon Peters (UCR) 7-6, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,4,1)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|