Feb. 1, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
EUGENE, Ore. ---The Fresno State men's tennis team grabbed a huge 6-1 win over Idaho on Saturday at the Student Tennis Center in Eugene, Ore.
"I thought we came out today with the right attitude right from the start, we fought hard at every spot and overall it was a good team win," said Fresno State graduated assistant coach James McKie. "Idaho can be dangerous and we managed to shut them down early on."
The Bulldogs (2-2) led early in the match taking the doubles point over the Vandals. In the No. 2 spot freshman Eric Komati and Sai Kartik Nakireddi paired to win their match 8-7, while John Darmstaedter and Alexandros Georgios Vakouftsis took their match 8-3 on court three.
The 'Dogs then went on to win 5-of-6 singles matches to hand Idaho its first loss of the season. Senior Sam MacNeil led the Bulldogs in the No. 1 spot, defeating Jose Bendeck 6-3, 7-6. Darmstaedter, Komati, Gergios and Niklos Papic also won their respected points in straight sets.
"We are looking forward to getting another shot at Oregon tomorrow," added McKie.
Fresno State is set to play No. 51 Oregon (4-1) for its final match of the weekend tomorrow at 11 a.m. This will be the second time the two times have faced in the last three days, in the first matchup Oregon won 7-0.
Live stats will be available here.
Fresno State 6, Idaho 1
1. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Bendeck, Jose (ID) 6-3, 7-6
2. Barta, Odon (ID) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 6-3, 5-7, 10-5
3. John Darmstaedter (FS) def. Ramos, Cristobal (ID) 6-3, 6-2
4. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Torres, Cesar (ID) 6-2, 7-5
5. Eric Komati (FS) def. Zedde, Andrew (ID) 6-1, 6-1
6. Alexandros Georgios (FS) def. Laudon, Sam (ID) 7-5, 6-4
1. Bendeck, Jose/Ramos, Cristobal (ID) def. Sam MacNeil/Nikolas Papic (FS) 8-4
2. Eric Komati/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Zedde, Andrew/Oddonetto, Matt (ID) 8-7
3. John Darmstaedter/Alexandros Georgios (FS) def. Torres, Cesar/Barta, Odon (ID) 8-3
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|