Feb. 2, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
WESTWOOD, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team ran into national power UCLA Saturday afternoon as the No. 3 Bruins topped the 'Dogs 7-0. The Bulldogs will be back in action Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. against UC Irvine.
UCLA notched the first point of the afternoon by winning two of the three doubles matches. On court two the Bruins won 8-3, while they secured the doubles point with an 8-4 win at No. 3. Court 1 was suspended with UCLA leading 6-4.
Following doubles, the Bruins swept all the singles matches.
At No. 3, #41 Dennis Mkrtchian recorded point number two after winning 6-2, 6-3 over Jeremy Quiroz. Karue Sell notched the Bruins third point at No. 5 topping Felipe Fritz 6-3, 6-1. The clinching point came from the top spot as Dennis Novikov won 6-2, 6-2.
After the Bruins clinched the match, the teams continued to finish all the singles matches. Freshman Nikolas Papic mounted a strong comeback in the second set at No. 4, but fell short to Clay Thomson 6-2, 7-5. At No. 2, Sai Kartik Nakireddi fell to Adrien Puget 6-2, 6-4. The final match came on court six where Ryoto Tachi just edged Sam MacNeil 6-4, 7-6(2).
#3 UCLA 7, #70 Fresno State 0
1. Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) 6-2, 6-2
2. Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 6-2, 6-4
3. #41 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-2, 6-3
4. Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-2, 7-5
5. Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Felipe Fritz (FS) 6-3, 6-1
6. Ryoto Tachi (UCLA) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
1. Marcos Giron/Dennis Novikov (UCLA) vs. Reid deLaubenfels/Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-4, unfinished
2. Adrien Puget/Karue Sell (UCLA) def. Felipe Fritz/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 8-3
3. Dennis Mkrtchian/Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Sam MacNeil/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 8-4
Match Notes: Fresno State 2-4; National ranking #70 UCLA 4-0; National ranking #3 Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,5,1,4,2,6)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" -- Log on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all the Bulldog home tennis matches!
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|