Feb. 9, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team was edged 4-3 in late rallies to No. 53 San Diego State for its first Mountain West match of the season on Sunday afternoon at the Sierra Racquet Club.
The Bulldogs began the day strong, taking the first two points of the dual which started with singles play in order to beat incoming weather conditions. Freshman Ethan Lopez and junior Sai Kartik Nakireddi won their respected matches in straight sets to give Fresno State an early 2-0 lead.
San Diego State rallied by winning the next three points to take a 3-2 advantage over the 'Dogs.
With the match on the line, sophomore Nikolas Papic then came from behind on court five (3-6, 6-4, 6-3) to win the crucial third point for the Bulldogs to send the match into doubles play.
The dual then came down to the doubles point with the score tied at 3-3.
The 'Dogs split the first two matches on courts one and two which brought the deciding point down to court three. After being up on the Aztecs, Papic and Lopez fell to Juan Florez and Jonas Meinzer 8-5 to give San Diego State its second conference win of the season.
"It's disappointing to lose such a close match at home, but our guys competed well," said Fresno State head coach Evan Austin. "We'll learn from this loss and continue to make improvements and I feel confident we'll take advantage next time we have another opportunity like this."
Moving forward, Fresno State (2-4, 0-1 MW) travels to the Bay Area next weekend to face San Francisco and No. 74 Santa Clara before returning home to dual Pacific for a midweek match on Feb. 19.
Fresno State 3, San Diego State 4
1. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 6-1, 7-6
2. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) def. Eric Komati (FS) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) def. John Darmstaedter (FS) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Juan Florez (SDSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Ethan Lopez (FS) def. Jonas Meinzer (SDSU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Thorsten Bertsch/Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) def. Sam MacNeil/Alexandros Georgios (FS) 8-4
2. Eric Komati/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Freddy Gelbrich/Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) 8-6
3. Juan Florez/Jonas Meinzer (SDSU) def. Nikolas Papic/Ethan Lopez (FS) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,2,4,1,3,5)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|