Feb. 19, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. ---The Fresno State men's tennis team came together for a 6-1 win over Pacific at home under the lights on Wednesday night at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
"Tonight was one of our most complete team matches of the season," said Fresno State head coach Evan Austin. "We've had a number of really close matches already this season and I think we've learned a lot from being in those situations."
The Bulldogs dominated from the beginning of the dual match, taking the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. In the No. 1 spot junior Sai Kartik Nakireddi and freshman John Darmstaedter defeated Pacific's Sem Verbeek and Migual Diaz (8-4). Bulldog teammates Ethan Lopez and Nikolas Papic followed quickly with an 8-2 win over Ben Mirkin and Denis Stolyarov to put the 'Dogs up 1-0 as they headed into singles play.
Fresno State extended its lead quickly to 3-0 with wins from Lopez and Darmstaedter on courts five and five.
Pacific then rallied, winning a point on court one. Pacific's No. 95 Sem Verbeek defeated Sam MacNeil (6-4, 6-4) for what was the Tigers only point of the dual.
The 'Dogs then sealed the win with a victory from freshman Eric Komati on court three. Komati defeated Mirkin in straight sets to gain his second win of the season in the No. 3 spot.
With the match decided the final two courts played out to give Fresno State its final two points in the 6-1 win. Kartik won his dual on court two in straight sets while freshman teammate Alexandros Georgios Vakouftsis had a comeback win on court six for his second collegiate singles victory.
"We're really looking forward to another great opportunity against New Mexico on Friday," added Austin.
The Bulldogs (3-6, 0-1 MW) are set to host No. 69 New Mexico for a Mountain West matchup on Friday at 11 a.m. at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
Fresno State 6, Pacific 1
1. #95 Sem Verbeek (PAC) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 6-4, 6-4
2. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Eric Komati (FS) def. Ben Mirkin (PAC) 6-4, 6-3
4. John Darmstaedter (FS) def. Erik Cederwall (PAC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ethan Lopez (FS) def. Eric Spence (PAC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Alexandros Georgios (FS) def. Alex Hamilton (PAC) 4-6, 7-6 (6-0), 14-12
1. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/John Darmstaedter (FS) def. Sem Verbeek/Miguel Diaz (PAC) 8-2
2. Alexandros Georgios/Sam MacNeil (FS) vs. Alex Hamilton/Erik Cederwall (PAC) 4-5, unfinished
3. Ethan Lopez/Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Ben Mirkin/Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 8-4
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|