Feb. 23, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team tamed the Pacific Tigers 4-3 Saturday afternoon at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. The 'Dogs are now 8-0 all time against the Tigers.
Despite the cool, breezy conditions the Bulldogs were able to pick up the win for their second home win and stopped a five match losing streak.
"I'm really proud of the win tonight," said head coach Evan Austin. "And the fight and resiliency that our guys showed in a 4-3 win. We have had a lot of close matches recently that haven't gone our way. We've been putting in alot of extra work in practice and in the gym and I feel like it's starting to pay off."
The 'Dogs started the afternoon off on the right foot as they won two closely contested doubles matches to clinch the doubles point.
At No. 1 sophomore Reid deLaubenfels and junior Sam MacNeil held off a late charging Tiger's squad for the 8-6 win. Freshman Nikolas Papic and junior Jeremy Quiroz followed suit by clinching the doubles point on court three also winning 8-6.
In singles, MacNeil put the 'Dogs ahead 2-0 as he cruised at the sixth spot 6-1, 6-2.
The Tigers rallied back picking up wins on courts two and five to tie the score at 2-2. With the score tied, the final three matches all went to three sets.
Papic bumped the score to 3-2 in favor of the 'Dogs after battling back from dropping the first set, winning a tough second and then dominating in the final on court three, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Sealing the deal for Fresno State was deLaubenfels at No. 1 who dropped the first set but rolled in the final two giving up only two games during those sets for a final score of 6-7(1), 6-0, 6-2.
"I'm looking forward to what should be a really good match tomorrow," Austin said. "We have to get our rest and be ready to go."
The Bulldogs are back in action at home tomorrow , Sunday, Feb. 24 at noon as they face Sacramento State.
Fresno State 4, Pacific 3
1. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) def. Alex Golding (PAC) 6-7 (1-7), 6-0, 6-2
2. Sem Verbeek (PAC) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 6-2, 6-3
3. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Ben Mirkin (PAC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Denis Stolyarov (PAC) def. Felipe Fritz (FS) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-4
5. Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-3, 6-0
6. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Trevor James (PAC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Reid deLaubenfels/Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Alex Golding/Sem Verbeek (PAC) 8-6
2. Trevor James/Daniel Alameh (PAC) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Felipe Fritz (FS) 6-5
3. Jeremy Quiroz/Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Alex Hamilton/Denis Stolyarov (PAC) 8-6
Fresno State 3-7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,5,2,3,1,4)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|