Feb. 23, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. --- In another nail-biter, the Fresno State men's tennis pulled through at the end to defeat UC Santa Barbara 4-3 on Sunday afternoon at Rec Cen Courts.
The Bulldogs took an early 1-0 lead after earning the doubles point with wins on courts one and three for the third straight match. Junior Sai Kartik Nakireddi and freshman John Darmstaedter defeated Ziad Sultan and Alexander Gryaznov (8-2) at No. 1, while Ethan Lopez and Nikolas Papic took their match over Erik Johnsson and Teague Hamilton (8-4) at No. 3.
In singles, Fresno State then went on to win two of the first five matches, letting the Gauchos back in the match. Senior Sam MacNeil and freshman Eric Komati won their points in straight sets on courts two and three for the Bulldogs.
With the score tied at 3-3, the deciding point came down to court four where sophomore Nikolas Papic was facing off with Gaucho's Erik Johnson. Papic stepped up big for the Bulldogs to clinch his point straight sets for a Fresno State 4-3 win.
"We got off to a great start in the match and then let them back into it," said head coach Evan Austin. "But Niko did a great job of stepping up for us in the clutch. We need to keep doing a better job of closing out when we get in winning positions but this was another positive step for us and a match we'll take a great deal of confidence from."
The Bulldogs (4-7, 0-2 MW) have a week off before hosting UC Davis for a dual at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center on March 8 at 1p.m.
Fresno State 4, UC Santa Barbara 3
1. Tobias Galskov (UCSB) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6
2. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) 6-2, 6-1
3. Eric Komati (FS) def. Alexander Gryaznov (UCSB) 7-5, 6-1
4. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Erik Johnsson (UCSB) 6-2, 7-5
5. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) def. John Darmstaedter (FS) 6-3, 6-0
6. Miles Seemann (UCSB) def. Ethan Lopez (FS) 6-4, 6-1
1. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/John Darmstaedter (FS) def. Ziad Sultan/Alexander Gryaznov (UCSB) 8-2
2. Tobias Galskov/Miles Seemann (UCSB) def. Sam MacNeil/Alexandros Georgios (FS) 8-3
3. Ethan Lopez/Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Erik Johnsson/Teague Hamilton (UCSB) 8-4
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|