March 16, 2003
FRESNO, Calif. - In a tournament tormented by rain, Fresno State managed to work out a 4-1 consolation round victory over Furman at the Blue-Gray Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala.
The Bulldogs' match with the Paladins was originally scheduled for Thursday night but had to be moved to Friday morning due to rain. Fresno State's first match in the tournament, against No. 40 Brown, was postponed a day because of rain.
Fresno State (8-6) started fast by winning at Nos. 1 and 3 doubles for a 1-0 lead heading into singles. Greg Shearer, who missed the Bulldogs' 4-3 loss to Brown due to an injury, made it 2-0 by coming back strong with a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 3 over Patrick Fillnow.
Also posting a singles win for the Bulldogs was Marc Schaerer at No. 4, who defeated Andrew Rogers 7-6 (3), 6-1. Hector Almada at No. 1 produced the clincher with a hard-fought 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-2 win over James Cameron.
Furman (6-7) won its only match of the day at No. 2.
Fresno State wraps up play in the Blue-Gray on Saturday night against No. 30 Harvard.
No. 56 Fresno State def. No. 63 Furman, 4-1
Doubles (Fresno State wins point)
1. Almada/Modoc (FS) def. No. 26 Cameron/Fillnow (FU), 8-4
2. Shearer/Sinn (FS) vs. Rogers/Ben Pauluhn (FU), did not finish
3. Suta/Alex Krohn (FS) def. Henderson/Simmons (FU), 8-6
1. No. 122 Hector Almada (FS) def. James Cameron (FU), 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-2
2. Chris Henderson (FU) def. Stefan Suta (FS), 6-4, 6-4
3. Greg Shearer (FS) def. Patrick Fillnow (FU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Marc Schaerer (FS) def. Andrew Rogers (FU), 7-6 (3), 6-1
5. Andy Sinn (FS) vs. Allen Simmons (FU), did not finish
6. Sergiu Modoc (FS) vs. Ryan McCarthy (FU), did not finish
Records: Fresno State (8-6); Furman (6-7)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|