Fresno State squared off against the Big East's Notre Dame on Friday for the second round of the Blue-Gray Classic.
March 19, 2010
FRESNO, Calif. -
No. 26 Fresno State faced off against No. 38 Notre Dame for the second round of the Blue-Gray Classic on Friday in Montgomery, Ala., with the Fighting Irish picking up a 4-3 victory.
The Bulldogs started the day off well by winning a tightly-contested doubles point.
The difference in the doubles point came down to Fresno State's Siddharth Alapati and Tejesvi Veerepalli's 9-7 victory over David Anderson and Daniel Stahl.
No. 22 Rikus de Villiers and Remi Boutillier were also victorious for the Bulldogs in doubles action over No. 61 Stephen Havens and Casey Watt.
In singles, de Villiers set aside the Irish's Stephen Havens, 6-2, 3-6, 6-1, and Boutillier defeated David Anderson, 6-2, 6-4.
"It was a tough battle that could have gone either way," Fresno State head coach Jay Udwadia said. "The guys fought hard and we're ready to play well tomorrow against Oklahoma State."
The `Dogs will now face No. 54 Oklahoma State on Saturday.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
"We Are Your Team"
March 19, 2010 - Montgomery, Ala.
No. 38 Notre Dame 4, No. 26 Fresno State 3
Doubles (Fresno State wins the doubles point)
1. No. 22 Boutillier/de Villiers (FS) def. No. 61 Havens/Watt (ND), 8-4
2. Fitzgerald/Davis (ND) def. Leiby/Zapletal (FS), 8-2
3. Alapati/Veerepalli (FS) def. Anderson/Stahl (ND), 9-7
1. No. 27 Casey Watt (ND) def. Mirko Zapletal (FS), 6-4, 7-5
2. Rikus de Villiers (FS) def. Stephen Havens (ND), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
3. No. 86 Daniel Stahl (ND) def. No. 123 Tejesvi Veerepalli (FS), 6-4, 6-7, 6-1
4. Remi Boutillier (FS) def. David Anderson (ND), 6-2, 6-4
5. Samuel Keeton (ND) def. David Ayoun (FS), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
6. Blas Moros (ND) def. Siddharth Alapati (FS), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
- Come cheer on the Bulldogs against Sacramento State on April 10 at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. For all the up to date information on Fresno State men's tennis stay logged on to gobulldogs.com.