March 28, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
LUBBOCK, Texas. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team fell 7-0 to No. 39 Texas Tech Wednesday afternoon in Lubbock, Texas for the first of two matches over spring break. The 'Dogs travel back to Fresno to face Mountain West foe Nevada on Sunday, March 31 at 1 p.m. at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
The nationally-ranked Red Raiders took the doubles point with wins at the top two positions. The No. 69 ranked doubles pair of Gabriel Dias and Vitor Manzini defeated Reid deLaubenfels and Sai Kartik Nakireddi 8-3. Jeff Bryan and Felipe Soares secured the point with an 8-3 win over Nikolas Papic and Felipe Fritz.
In singles, Texas Tech picked up wins on courts three, four and six to secure the win before sweeping the rest of the matches as well.
Bulldog freshman Fritz made his first appearance of his career at the No. 1 position and gave Vitor Manzini all he could handle, but ultimately fell in a third set super tiebreaker for a final score of 5-7, 7-6(2), 1-0 (10-8). The loss snapped a seven match win streak for Fritz.
#39 Texas Tech 7, Fresno State 0
1. Vitor Manzini (TTU) def. Felipe Fritz (FS) 5-7, 7-6 (7-2), 1-0 (10-8)
2. Gabriel Dias (TTU) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) 7-5, 6-3
3. Felipe Soares (TTU) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-2, 6-2
4. Raphael Pfister (TTU) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 7-5, 6-2
5. Francisco Zambon (TTU) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 6-1, 6-3
6. Hugo Dojas (TTU) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-2, 6-0
1. #69 Gabriel Dias/Vitor Manzini (TTU) def. Reid deLaubenfels/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 8-3
2. Jeff Bryan/Felipe Soares (TTU) def. Nikolas Papic/Felipe Fritz (FS) 8-3
3. Hugo Dojas/Raphael Pfister (TTU) vs. Sam MacNeil/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-6, unfinished
Fresno State 5-13
Texas Tech 13-5; National ranking #39
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,3,4,5,2,1)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|