March 31, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. --- Felipe Fritz recorded two wins on the day and clinched the winning point in singles as the Fresno State men's tennis team recorded its first-ever Mountain West victory with a dramatic 4-3 win over Nevada.
"We've been looking forward to this point of the year to be playing our best tennis," head coach Evan Austin said. "It was nice to get our first conference win in another really close match. Hopefully the non-conference schedule helped us prepare for this situation and we are going to take a lot of confidence from this match moving forward into the conference season."
The 'Dogs got off to a hot start as they won two of the three doubles matches to secure the doubles point. Reid deLaubenfels and Sam MacNeil defeated Moez Echargui and Robert Allan 8-3 at the top spot and Felipe Fritz teamed with Nikolas Papic at No. 3 and the pair clinched the point for Fresno State by beating Philip Hinojosa and Quentin Mege 8-4.
"I feel like we are really starting to come together as a team and starting to peak," said Austin. "We want to be playing our best tennis come conference tournament and this is a great start to the conference season."
At the start of singles the WolfPack battled back to take a 2-1 lead with wins on courts five and one. Papic tied the score at two for the 'Dogs as he battled in a 7-5 first set then cruised 6-1 in the second.
Nevada jumped back in front despite a good second set effort from Jeremy Quiroz who ultimately lost 6-1, 7-5 to Ryan Andrada. Sai Kartik Nakireddi held off a late charge from Mege to tie the score at 3-3 with a 6-3, 7-5 victory at No. 3.
The final point was decided on court two as Fritz returned to his winning ways after having his seven match winning streak snapped in the last match. After dropping the first set in a tiebreak, Fritz rallied to win the second set 6-4, then rattled off three straight games in the third after being down 3-4 to take the final set at 6-4 and the match for the 'Dogs.
Tennis Match Results
Fresno State 4, Nevada Men's Tennis 3
1. Moez Echargui (NEV-M) def. Reid deLaubenfels (FS) 6-1, 6-2
2. Felipe Fritz (FS) def. Fernando Sunago (NEV-M) 6-7, 6-4, 6-4
3. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Quentin Mege (NEV-M) 6-3, 7-5
4. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Andrew Poustie (NEV-M) 7-5, 6-1
5. Robert Allan (NEV-M) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ryan Andrada (NEV-M) def. Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 6-1, 7-5
1. Reid deLaubenfels/Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Moez Echargui/Robert Allan (NEV-M) 8-3
2. Andrew Poustie/Fernando Sunago (NEV-M) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/Jeremy Quiroz (FS) 8-6
3. Felipe Fritz/Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Philip Hinojosa/Quentin Mege (NEV-M) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (,1,4,6,3,2)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Check on to gobulldogs.com for live stats for all of the Men's and Women's Bulldog home tennis matches.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|