April 5, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. ---The Fresno State men's tennis team swept its doubleheader over UC Irvine and Sonoma State on Saturday at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. The 'Dogs came from behind to defeat the Anteaters 4-3 and then blanked the Seawolves 4-0.
With two wins today, the Bulldogs improve to 9-8 overall this spring.
The 'Dogs had a slow start the day, trailing UC Irvine early 2-0, though strong singles play once again led Fresno State to victory. Sophomore Nikolas Papic started the singles surge for the Bulldos at the No. 3 slate with a win over Jonathan Hammel. Freshman Eric Komati then won the tying point on court five over Caryl Hernandez 7-6 (7-5), 6-3.
After dropping the next singles point on court four, junior Sai Kartik Nakireddi defeated Tyler Pham (6-4, 3-6, 7-5) at the top spot to put the Bulldogs in a 3-3 situation for the ninth time this season.
With the deciding point on the line, freshman Alexandros Georgios Vakouftsis stepped up huge for the Bulldogs on court six, persevering to defeat Shuhei Shibahara in the third set to clinch the dual the Bulldogs over UC Irvine.
"I'm extremely proud of Alex (Alexandros) for stepping up today in a pressure 3-3 situation," said Fresno State head coach Evan Austin.
Fresno State then carried momentum into its second dual match of the day against Sonoma State which started in singles play. The 'Dogs won four quick points in singles to blank the Seawolves 4-0, sweeping their Saturday doubleheader.
"We are really happy to pick up two wins today going into a very important conference match against Air Force tomorrow," added Austin. "We need to come out focused and ready to compete from the start tomorrow."
Winners of six of their last seven duals played, the Bulldogs next host Air Force in a Mountain West dual tomorrow morning at 11 a.m.
Fresno State 4, UC Irvine 3
1. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Tyler Pham (UCI) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
2. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 7-5, 6-1
3. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
4. Rafael Davidian (UCI) def. John Darmstaedter (FS) 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 6-1
5. Eric Komati (FS) def. Caryl Hernandez (UCI) 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
6. Alexandros Georgios (FS) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) 7-6 (7-4), 5-7, 6-4
1. Jonathan Hammel/Tyler Pham (UCI) def. John Darmstaedter/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 8-4
2. Ryan Cheung/Caryl Hernandez (UCI) def. Nikolas Papic/Ethan Lopez (FS) 8-4
3. Eric Komati/Sam MacNeil (FS) vs. Rafael Davidian/Jonathan Poon (UCI) 5-4, unfinished
Fresno State 4, Sonoma State 0
1. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Matt Roberts (SNS) 6-3, retired
2. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Philip Holbrook (SNS) 6-1, 6-3
3. Eric Komati (FS) vs. Daniel Holz (SNS) 6-2, 3-0, unfinished
4. John Darmstaedter (FS) vs. Robert Henry (SNS) 6-0, 4-1, unfinished
5. Alexandros Georgios (FS) def. Logan Liddell (SNS) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ethan Lopez (FS) def. Vincent Paganetti (SNS) 6-1, 6-0
1. Philip Holbrook/Matt Roberts (SNS) vs. John Darmstaedter/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) no result
2. Seth Hein/Jimmy Manning (SNS) vs. Nikolas Papic/Ethan Lopez (FS) no result
3. Robert Henry/Logan Liddell (SNS) vs. Sam MacNeil/Eric Komati (FS) no result
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|