April 6, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team blanked Air Force, 7-0 in a Mountain West dual at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon.
"Today was one of our best performances of the year from start to finish," said Fresno State head coach Evan Austin. "We played much more aggressive in the doubles and competed really well in singles."
Fresno State's strong performance began in the doubles round where they took the point over the Falcons with wins on courts two and three. Senior Sam MacNeil paired with freshman Eric Komati to defeat Andy Jackson and Andrew Parks of Air Force, 8-1. At the No. 3 slot Nikolas Papic and teammate Alexandros Georgios Vakouftsis clinched the point with an 8-4 win over the Grant Taylor and Lucas Fumagalli.
The Bulldogs carried their high energy over into singles play where they went on to win all six matches to shutout the Falcons for their second MW win of the season.
With three straight home wins this weekend, the 'Dogs improved to 10-8, 2-3 MW on the season.
Fresno State is back in action at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center next weekend when they host UNLV on April 12 and Sacramento State the on April 13 for Senior Day. Both matches will begin at 12 p.m. PT.
Fresno State 7, Air Force 0
1. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Andy Jackson (AF) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Steven Young (AF) 6-3, 6-3
3. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Jack McCullers (AF) 6-4, 6-0
4. Eric Komati (FS) def. Alex Grubbs (AF) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. John Darmstaedter (FS) def. Lucas Fumagalli (AF) 6-0, 6-4
6. Alexandros Georgios (FS) def. Andrew Parks (AF) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
1. Alex Grubbs/Jack McCullers (AF) def. John Darmstaedter/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Sam MacNeil/Eric Komati (FS) def. Andy Jackson/Andrew Parks (AF) 8-1
3. Nikolas Papic/Alexandros Georgios (FS) def. Grant Taylor/Lucas Fumagalli (AF) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,3,2,1,4,6)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|