Bulldogs Ace Aggies, 6-1
April 7, 2012
FRESNO, Calif. - The No. 29 Fresno State men's tennis team defeated UC Davis, 6-1, on Saturday at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
The Bulldogs (15-3) swept the Aggies (3-13) at all doubles positions to clinch the doubles point and take the lead against the Aggies 1-0. David Ayoun and Zachary Leslie defeated UCD's Kyle Miller and Hugo Verdi-Fortin, 8-4, at the No. 2 spot. The `Dogs earned the point at No. 1 where Remi Boutiller and Jean-Charles Diame bested the Aggies' Toki Sherbakov and Josh Albert, 8-5.
The `Dogs continued to gain momentum in singles winning five straight matches before Ayoun fell to Miller, 6-3, 7-6, (10-8), at the No. 2 spot. At No. 1 singles, 28th-ranked Boutillier defeated Sherbakov, 6-2, 6-1, and Diame followed at No. 3 with a 6-0, 7-5 victory over Chris Aria.
Leslie clinched the team win for the `Dogs at No. 5 with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Albert, while UCD's Verdi-Fortin retired to freshman Reid DeLaubenfels seconds later due to injury. The last Bulldog win of the match was earned by freshman Sai Kartik Nakireddi over George Horowitz, 3-6, 6-3, 10-8, at No. 6.
The Bulldogs return to the courts on Wednesday to face No. 8 Pepperdine at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center at 3:30 p.m.
#29 Fresno State, 6 UC Davis, 1
Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center
1. #28 Remi Boutillier (FS) def. Toki Sherbakov (UCD), 6-2, 6-1
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. David Ayoun (FS), 6-3, 7-6, (10-8)
3. Jean-Charles Diame (FS) def. Chris Aria (UCD), 6-0, 7-5
4. Reid DeLaubenfels (FS) def. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD), 6-3, 2-6, 4-3 ret.
5. Zachary Leslie (FS) def. Josh Albert (UCD), 7-5, 6-1
6. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. George Horowitz (UCD), 3-6, 6-3, 10-8
1. Boutillier/Diame (FS) def. Sherbakov/Albert (UCD), 8-5
2. Ayoun/Leslie (FS) def. Miller/Verdi-Fortin (UCD), 8-4
3. Quiroz/deLaubenfels (FS) def. Aria/Horowitz (UCD), 8-4
Fresno State 15-3; National ranking #29
UC Davis 4-12
"We Are Your Team"- You can always stay connected with Fresno State Athletics on Facebook (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics).