April 12, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team defeated UNLV 4-3 in a Mountain West dual at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. This was the Bulldogs fourth straight home victory in the past seven days.
"Our guys did a great job battling from start to finish today in the heat against a tough UNLV team," said Fresno State head coach Evan Austin.
After splitting the first two doubles matches with the Rebels, senior Sam MacNeil and freshman Eric Komati rallied for the 'Dogs on court two to defeat Jakob Amilon and Dimitar Petrov of UNLV (8-5) to clinch the important doubles point for Fresno State.
With an early lead over the Rebels, Komati then won a quick singles match on court five (6-2,6-2) to extend the Bulldogs lead to 2-0. Freshman John Darmstaedter took his point shortly after at the four slate over Dimitar Petrov 6-4,6-2.
UNLV took the next two points on the No. 1 and 6 slates to close the gap at 3-2. The Rebels then pushed play into three sets on courts two and three to make for an exciting finish.
With a one point lead, MacNeil stepped up for the team and sealed the match for the Bulldogs defeating Tamas Batyi of UNLV, 7-6 (8-6), 2-6, 6-1.
Winning eight of their last nine matches played, the Bulldogs improve to 11-8, 3-3 MW this season.
"We need to rest up and be ready to go again tomorrow against Sacramento State," added Austin.
Fresno State is back in action tomorrow at noon as they host Sacramento State for Senior Day at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
Fresno State 4, UNLV 3
1. Ace Matias (UNLV) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
2. Denys Pume (UNLV) def. Nikolas Papic (FS) 6-7 (1-7), 7-5, 5-1, WD
3. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Tamas Batyi (UNLV) 7-6 (8-6), 2-6, 6-1
4. John Darmstaedter (FS) def. Dimitar Petrov (UNLV) 6-4, 6-2
5. Eric Komati (FS) def. Willie Sublette (UNLV) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jakob Amilon (UNLV) def. Alexandros Georgios (FS) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
1. Ace Matias/Denys Pume (UNLV) def. Sai Kartik Nakireddi/John Darmstaedter (FS) 8-3
2. Eric Komati/Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Jakob Amilon/Dimitar Petrov (UNLV) 8-5
3. Nikolas Papic/Alexandros Georgios (FS) def. Willie Sublette/Tamas Batyi (UNLV) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,4,1,6,3,2)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|