Fresno State remains atop the WAC standings with a 5-2 victory over New Mexico State.
April 18, 2009
FRESNO, Calif. -
A strong team effort led the 46th-ranked Bulldogs to a 5-2 victory over New Mexico State on Saturday in Boise, Idaho.
Fresno State narrowly edged out the Aggies by winning two doubles matches for the team point.
Rikus de Villiers and Remi Boutillier defeated Jim Brouleau and Arthur Surreaux, 8-6, and Taylor Leiby and Tejesvi Veerepalli thwarted Gustave Diep and Stefan McKinney, 9-8.
In singles, de Villiers was the first to finish his match by beating Diep, 6-1, 6-2.
No. 59 Rudolf Siwy clinched the match for the Bulldogs with a 6-2, 1-6, 6-1 win over Roman Stoisavljevic.
Boutillier and Tejesvi also picked up singles victories for the Bulldogs.
Fresno State remains atop the WAC standings with a 5-0 conference record and are 16-7 overall.
The Bulldogs have Boise State later on Saturday at 5 p.m. PT and will next be in action at the WAC Tournament on April 24-26 in Honolulu, Hawai'i.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
"Join the State - Fresno State"
April 18, 2009 - Boise, Idaho
No. 46 Fresno State def. New Mexico State, 5-2
Doubles (Fresno State wins the doubles point)
1. Stoisavljevic/Salas (NMSU) def. No. 37 Siwy/Zapletal (FS) 9-8 (7-2)
2. de Villiers/Boutillier (FS) def. Brouleau/Surreaux (NMSU) 8-6
3. Leiby/Veerepalli (FS) def. Diep/McKinney (NMSU) 8-3
Order of Completion: 3, 2, 1
1. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Mirko Zapletal (FS) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
2. No. 59 Rudolf Siwy (FS) def. Roman Stoisavljevic (NMSU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
3. Rikus de Villiers (FS) def. Gustave Diep (NMSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Remi Boutillier (FS) def. Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 7-6 (4), 1-6, 1-1, retired
5. Tejesvi Veerepalli (FS) def. Stefan McKinney (NMSU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Eduardo Salas (NMSU) def. Flavio Mollinedo (FS) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
Order of Completion: 3, 5, 1, 6, 2*, 4
- Support the Bulldogs as they travel to Honolulu, Hawai'i, for the WAC Championships from April 24-26. Follow the 'Dogs throughout the season on www.gobulldogs.com.