April 18, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
RENO, Nev. --- The Fresno State men's tennis team fell to Nevada 5-2 in a Mountain West dual on Friday afternoon at Caughlin Athletic Club.
"Tough loss today, Nevada hasn't lost at home this season and we were right there to win it, "said Fresno State assistant coach James McKie. "Our team has to look at this match and learn from it, some guys absolutely put it on the line today and I am very proud of their efforts."
The Pack took an early lead over the Bulldogs winning two doubles matches on the top two courts. With the point decided Nikolas Papic and Alexandros Georgios Vakouftsis paired to defeat Nevada 8-7(11-9) in the tie breaker at the No. 3 slate.
In singles play, Freshman John Darmstaedter and Eric Komati won their respected points for the Bulldogs in three sets against the Wolf Pack. Darmstaedter defeated Andrew Poustie of Nevada 6-4, 1-6, 6-2 on court four while Komati took down Ryan Andrada 2-6, 6-4, 6-0 at No. 5. This was Komati's fifth-straight singles victory.
Looking to bounce back quickly, Fresno State (12-9, 3-4 MW) is set to face MW foe Utah State for its regular season finale on Sunday at 10 a.m. PT. This is the second matchup of the two teams this season, when they faced earlier this spring the 'Dogs defeated the Aggies 4-3.
Fresno State 2, Nevada 5
1. Victor Ouvrard (NEV) def. Sai Kartik (FS) 6-4, 6-4
2. Moez Chargui (NEV) def. Sam MacNeil (FS) 4-6, 7-6(8-6), 6-4
3. Quentin Mege (NEV) def. Niko Papic (FS) 6-3, 6-4
4. John Darmstaedter (FS) def. Andrew Poustie (NEV) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
5. Eric Komati (FS) def. Ryan Andrada (NEV) 2-6, 6-4, 6-0
6. Fernando Sunago (NEV) def. Alexandros Vakouftsis (FS) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
1. Ouvrard/Allan (NEV) def. Kartik/MacNeil (FS) 8-3
2. Mege/Chargui (NEV) def. Damstaedter/Komati (FS) 8-6
3. Papic/Vakouftsis (FS) def. Sunago/Poustie (NEV) 8-7(11-9)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,4,6,5,2)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|