April 20, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
LOGAN, Utah --- The Fresno State men's tennis team swept Utah State 7-0 in its regular season finale on Sunday afternoon at USU Tennis Courts.
"Utah State is a very dangerous team, they bring a lot of energy and fight extremely hard," said Fresno State assistant coach James McKie. "I thought we handled the situation very well, especially at altitude and we fully deserved the 7-0 victory."
Fresno State fought past the Aggies in doubles to take the early lead in the conference dual. After dropping the first doubles match of the day at No. 3, the 'Dogs began their run as John Darmstaedter paired with Eric Komati for the 8-3 win on court two. Bulldog duo Sai Kartik Nakireddi and Sam MacNeil then sealed the point as they defeated Utah State 8-6 at the top court.
The Bulldogs then dominated singles play, sweeping all six courts to end regular season on a high note with a 7-0 Mountain West win over Utah State.
"We need to take this confidence into next week and believe that we can beat anyone in the conference," added Mckie.
Concluding regular season with a 13-9, 4-4 MW mark, Fresno State looks to carry momentum into the conference tournament next week as they are set to host the 2014 MW Tennis Championships at Sierra Sport and Racquet Club on April 23-27.
Fresno State 7, Utah State 0
1. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Dennis Baumgartner 6-3, 6-4
2. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) 3-6, 6-3, 10-5
3. Sam MacNeil (FS) def. Sebastian Schneider (USU) 7-5, 2-6, 10-6
4. John Darmstaedter (FSU) def. Andrew Whiting (USU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
5. Eric Komati (FS) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Alexandros Georgios Vakouftsis (FS) def. Tomas Cosmai (USU) 6-1, 6-4
1. Kartik/MacNeil (FS) def. Fritz/Peterson (USU) 8-6
2. Darmstaedter/Komati (FS) def. Baumgartner/Wearmouth (USU) 8-3
3. Whiting/Schneider (USU) def. Papic/Vakouftsis (FS) 8-2
Order of Finish: Singles (6,1,5,2,3,4) Doubles (3,2,1)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|