May 12, 2012
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The 36th-ranked Fresno State men's tennis team fell to No. 27 San Diego, 4-0, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on Saturday.
The `Dogs (20-5) began their third-straight and 13th overall NCAA Tournament appearance by dropping the doubles point the Toreros (20-7) in a 2-0 decision. The Bulldogs' 58th-ranked duo of sophomore Francis Alcantara and senior Remi Boutillier fell to Patrick Pohlmann and Thibaut Visy, 8-3, at the No. 1 position. San Diego clinched the doubles point at the No. 3 spot when freshman Reid DeLaubenfels and senior Jean-Charles Diame suffered an 8-5 loss to Nikola Bubnic and Ciaran Fitzgerald.
In singles, the Toreros continued to gain momentum. At the No. 2 spot, 43rd-ranked singles player Alcantara fell to San Diego's No. 90 Pohlmann, 6-3, 6-0. San Diego extended its lead at No. 4 when Visy defeated senior David Ayoun, 6-2, 6-4.
The `Dogs fought back at the No.1, No. 5 and No. 6 spots. Boutillier and deLaubenfels were both in match points at No. 1 and No. 5 respectively and freshman Sai Kartik Nakireddi was also up in the third set 4-2 at No. 6 singles. Unfortunately, the Bulldog comeback was halted at No. 3 when San Diego's Clarke Spinosa topped Diame, 6-1, 7-6, 6-2.
The last time Fresno State faced San Diego was on April 11, 2010 when the Bulldogs defeated the Toreros, 5-2. San Diego now moves on to face the winner of No. 4 seeded UCLA and Eastern Kentucky in the second round of the tournament.
Though the `Dogs concluded their season, two members of the team are still on the quest for an NCAA win. Boutillier and Alcantara will both represent the Bulldogs at the NCAA Singles and Doubles Championships in Athens, Ga. on May 23-28.
They will be joined with fellow Bulldog, 41st-ranked Marianne Jodoin, who will represent the women's tennis team in the NCAA Single Championships. The Singles and Doubles Championships will be held at Georgia's at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex. Boutillier, Alcantara and Jodoin are only the players to represent the WAC at the Championships.
#27 San Diego 4, #36 Fresno State, 0
Los Angeles, Calif.
Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. #27 Remi Boutillier (FS) vs. #49 Nikola Bubnic (SD), 6-4, 1-6, 5-5 unfinished
2. #90 Patrick Pohlmann (SD) def. #43 Francis Alcantara (FS), 6-3, 6-0
3. Clarke Spinosa (SD) def. Jean-Charles Diame (FS), 6-1, 7-6, 6-2
4. Thibaut Visy (SD) def. David Ayoun (FS), 6-2, 6-4
5. Reid DeLaubenfels (FS) vs. Victor Pugliese (SD) 7-5, 6-6 unfinished
6. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) Ciaran Fitzgerald (SD) 4-6, 6-4, 4-2 unfinished
1. Patrick Pohlmann/Thibaut Visy (SD) def. #58 Francis Alcantara/Remi Boutillier (FS), 8-3
2. David Ayoun/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Victor Pugliese/Clarke Spinosa (SD), 7-6 unfinished
3. Nikola Bubnic/Ciaran Fitzgerald (SD) def. Reid deLaubenfels/Jean-Charles Diame (FS), 8-5
2012 NCAA Men's Tennis Regionals- First round
San Diego 17-9; National ranking #27
Fresno State 20-4; National ranking #36
"Discover Fresno State Athletics!" - You can always stay connected with Fresno State Athletics on Facebook (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics).
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|