May 14, 2010
FRESNO, Calif. - No. 28 Fresno State opened the NCAA Tournament with a 4-2 victory over No. 34 BYU on Friday on the campus of USC in Los Angeles.
The Bulldogs started the morning by winning two of the three doubles matches to earn the doubles point.
No. 23 Remi Boutillier and Rikus de Villiers were the first tandem to finish up, as they defeated the Cougars' Cassidy Mears and Thomas Shubert, 8-4. Fresno State seniors Taylor Leiby and Mirko Zapletal clinched the doubles point by beating Georgy Batrakov and Daniel Hwang, 9-8 (7-2).
"We knew today was going to be a tough match," Fresno State head coach Jay Udwadia said. "The doubles matches were extremely close. When we pull out the doubles point, that gave us the edge to start out well in singles."
Boutillier extended the 'Dogs' lead to 2-1, by beating Mears, 6-2, 6-2.
BYU tied the team score at 2-2 by winning on Courts 3 and 6.
De Villiers reclaimed the lead for the Bulldogs, with his 6-3, 7-5 victory over Evan Urbina.
Zapletal's 7-5, 6-3 victory over Shubert clinched the match for the Bulldogs and gave them their first NCAA victory since 2003.
"We're happy to advance to the next round and we hope to keep it going," Udwadia said. Fresno State advanced to the second round to take on the defending National Champion USC on the Trojans homecourt on Saturday at 1 p.m.
The 'Dogs and Trojans met earlier in the year at the ITA National Team Indoors Sweet 16, with USC coming away with a 4-0 victory. Fresno State is 4-17 all-time against the Trojans, with the last win coming in 2000.
NCAA MEN'S TENNIS
May 14, 2010 - Fresno, Calif.
No. 28 Fresno State 4, No. 34 BYU 2
Doubles (Fresno State wins the doubles point)
1. No. 23 Boutillier/de Villiers (FS) def. Mears/Shubert (BYU), 8-4
2. Leiby/Zapletal (FS) def. Batrakov/Hwang (BYU), 9-8 (7-2)
3. Smith/Urbina (BYU) def. Alapati/Veerepalli (FS), 9-8 (11-9)
Order of Completion: 1, 3, 2
1. Mirko Zapletal (FS) def. Thomas Shubert (BYU), 7-5, 6-3
2. Rikus de Villiers (FS) def. Evan Urbina (BYU), 6-3, 7-5
3. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Tejesvi Veerepalli (FS), 6-2, 6-3
4. Remi Boutillier (FS) def. Cassidy Mears (BYU), 6-2, 6-2
5. David Ayoun (FS) vs. Spencer Smith (BYU), DNF
6. Daniel Hwang (BYU) def. Siddharth Alapati (FS), 6-1, 6-2
Order of Completion: 4, 3, 6, 2, 1*
"We Are Your Team" - Fresno State will square off against USC on Saturday, May 15 for the second round of the NCAA Tournament. For all the up to date information on Fresno State men's tennis stay logged on to gobulldogs.com.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|