May 20, 2006
Tulsa Head Coach John Bargfeldt on the Golden Hurricane's first NCAA Tournament ... "The thing that I tried to get them to take away is that there are little plays in every game that swing a game one way or another. I felt that in the Stanford game that was the case. A couple plays dropped in on us, and they had a big inning and it looked like a blow out. In this game, that centerfielder (Jenna Wheeler) makes a fabulous catch in right center. With two runners on that is a tie ball game.
Tulsa Head Coach John Bargfeldt on what to take away from NCAA experience... When you lose two games, sometimes there is a question of whether you belong. And I just told them that you do belong. You are right there battling. We didn't hit as well as we would have liked. Maybe we didn't have our 'A' game, but we are still battling. We are still in it with some great teams in the country. That is what I tried to get them to think about. Anytime you have something like this, it just makes you more hungry."
Tulsa outfielder Brooke Smart on reaching the NCAA Tournament as a freshman... "I think most of it is that we got here, and we earned our way here. It just a mental thing. You prove to yourself that you have the ability to get in there. And now all we know is that we are going to get back here. The only way to go is up.
***Cal State Fullerton had no postgame press conference because of its elimination game with Stanford immediately following the Tulsa game***
Game Three Notes: No. 2 Cal State Fullerton 6, No. 4 Tulsa 2
- Cal State Fullerton is now 2-2 at Bulldog Diamond in NCAA Regional games. The Titans will now take on Stanford at approximately 6:00 p.m. PT.
- The Titans have an overall postseason record of 16-15.
- Cal State Fullerton sophomore Crystal Vieyra has now been hit by a pitch 19 times this season, one shy of the Titan school record.
- Tulsa now has 189 walks this season which is a school record. The 189 walks is more than the Golden Hurricane had the first three years of the program combined (1993-95).
- Tulsa has now scored 55 runs after drawing a walk, including one runs against Cal State Fullerton. The Golden Hurricane has recorded at least one walk in 48 of their 58 games.
- This is the sixth time this season that CS Fullerton has hit at least three home runs in a game. The last time was on April 23 against Pacific when it tied a school record, hitting four. The Titans are seven home runs away from tying the school record for home runs in a season with 65 which was set sin 2002.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|