May 20, 2006
Stanford Head Coach John Rittman on the Cardinal rebounding from the loss to Fresno State... "After a tough loss to a good Fresno State team, I was very proud of how our team came out and jumped on Fullerton early and played really well. Our senior pitcher (Laura Severson) showed a lot of heart in shutting down a very good Cal State Fullerton team. We played good defense and had timely hits. I am very proud of how we played today."
Stanford Head Coach John Rittman on using three different pitchers in three games... "We utilized the entire pitching staff, and we actually have one more we could throw tomorrow if we need to. We have confidence in all of our pitchers. They have all had big wins for us over the course of the year. Our key tomorrow is to utilize our whole team and our whole pitching staff if we have to, to get two wins."
Cal State Fullerton Head Coach Michelle Gromacki on her team's heart... "I was proud of them. I told them to walk with their chests high right now. The better team one. They were the better team today. I didn't think that we were going to lose that game right up to the last pitch. I thought we still had a chance. We battled. There were outstanding defensive plays on both ends. Every time they pushed; we pushed. It was a good hard battle. They just capitalized on their opportunities more than we did. But I am proud of this team. They gave all that had all the way up to the very end."
Game Five Notes: No. 1 Stanford 4, No. 2 Cal State Fullerton 1
- Stanford will now take on Fresno State on Sunday. If Stanford defeats the Bulldogs, the two teams will meet again to decide who will advance to the NCAA Super Regionals.
- The Titans have an overall postseason record of 16-16.
- Cal State Fullerton is now 2-3 at Bulldog Diamond in NCAA Regional games.
- Stanford also defeated also defeated Cal State Fullerton, 4-2, on March 5.
- Cal State Fullerton ends the season 37-24.
- With Laura Severson's start against the Titans, the Cardinal have started a different pitcher in each game in the regional.
- Severson now has back-to-back complete game wins. Her last wins was a 5-4 victory over Pac-10 foe Washington on May 13. In her last 15 innings, she has allowed only one earned run.
- Stanford has out-scored its opponents 12-4 in the regional. Fresno State was the only team to score more than one run against the Cardinal in its first three games of the regional, defeating Stanford, 3-0.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|