May 20, 2006
Fresno State Head Coach Margie Wright on beating Stanford...
"I felt like our team executed everything so well today, and Robin (Mackin) did a great job on the mound and also at bat. We had some timely hitting, and I just felt like our team was really on top of everything today. I am very proud of them."
Fresno State pitcher Robin Mackin on her two-run home run...
"I don't really remember where the pitch was, but it obviously wasn't where she wanted it to be. I definitely wasn't going to go down without a good at bat. I hadn't really had a good at bat all game, so I was going to swing for all of it."
Fresno State pitcher Robin Mackin on her pitching performance...
"I think in both games I just showed up to play, and my team has been there for me. We have just been playing solid defense. I am confident that my team is going to make plays behind me."
Stanford Head Coach John Rittman on close loss to Fresno State...
"I thought it was a pretty good game. I think that we battled very hard today. We had some opportunities to score against a very good pitcher in Mackin. And our line drives, both times, got caught. That is just the nature of this game. They had some big hits today, and they took advantage of their opportunities. We had a couple of times where we had a couple of hard hit balls against Mackin that were caught. I am very proud of our effort, and we are still alive. We will go get them this afternoon."
Stanford pitcher Becky McCullough on her performance...
"We know in postseason anything can happen. They are all going to be good teams and close games. I made mistakes at wrong times, and they took advantage of them. They did a good job of capitalizing on mistakes."
Stanford shortstop Lauren Lappin on what it will take for Cardinal to advance...
"We have to take every game one pitch at a time. We just have to focus on the next game, Tulsa or Cal State Fullerton, both being good opponents. Our backs are against the wall, but sometimes it is a little easier to play like that because we have nothing to lose. This team has bounced back from a lot of adversity, and we are very capable. We have to put Fresno State behind us."
- This is the second meeting between Stanford and Fresno State in NCAA Regional action. The Bulldogs also defeated the Cardinal, 5-2, in 1999.
- Fresno State freshman Robin Mackin pitched her second-straight shut out, also beating Cal State Fullerton, 2-0, in the first game of the regional. It was Mackin's 14th shutout of the season.
- Pitcher Robin Mackin's two-run home run was the first home run of the Fresno Regional. It was Mackin's fifth home run of the season and the seventh allowed by Stanford pitcher Becky McCullough.
- Stanford moves to 39-16 with the loss, while Fresno State is now 37-17 with the win.
- The loss broke a four-game winning streak for the Cardinal, dating back to a 3-2 win over Washington on May 11.
- The last time Stanford was shut out was a 6-0 loss to Arizona State in Tempe on May 5.
- The only Stanford players to get hits were third baseman Maddy Coon, and second baseman Tricia Aggabao who had two hits.
- In two NCAA appearances, Robin Mackin has only allowed seven hits.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|