Jan. 25, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
CLEMSON, S.C. ---The Fresno State women's tennis team opened its season with a 4-0 loss to No. 13 Clemson on Saturday afternoon at the Clemson Indoor Tennis Facility in Clemson, S.C."We had a lot of fight today, we just didn't come out on top against a very good team," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "We came out and we were ready, we just didn't capitalize on the big points. I give them (Clemson) credit, they don't give anything away."
Fresno State (0-1) trailed Clemson early in the day as the Tigers took the doubles point with wins on courts one and two.
With four nationally ranked singles players, Clemson then went on to defeat the 'Dogs in straight sets on the first three courts to secure the win."I definitely saw some great improvement today," added Stotland. "I think we are really ready to play these top teams, and I'm excited to see how it goes tomorrow."
Fresno State is set to face No. 27 Purdue in the consolation match of ITA Kick-Off Weekend on Sunday morning at 6 a.m. PT. Purdue was edged by No. 32 Tennessee 4-3 in the first round of play on Saturday morning.
Clemson 4, Fresno State 0
1. #74 Yana Koroleva (CU) def. #104 Sophie Watts (FS) 6-2, 6-2
2. #51 Romy Koelzer (CU) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-4, 6-2
3. #44 Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Anne Susdorf (FS) 6-3, 6-1
4. #103 Tristen Dewar (CU) vs. Sofya Malysheva (FS) 4-6, 6-1, unfinished
5. Anneka Watts (FS) vs. Ani Miao (CU) no result
6. Claire Yang (FS) vs. Jessy Rompies (CU) no result
1. Jessy Rompies/Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. #41 Aishwarya Agrawal/Claire Yang (FS) 6-0
2. Yana Koroleva/Tristen Dewar (CU) def. Sofya Malysheva/Tanya Murtagh (FS) 6-2
3. Joana Eidukonyte/Romy Koelzer (CU) vs. Sophie Watts/Anne Susdorf (FS) 4-4, unfinished
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|