Feb. 1, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
MALIBU, Calif. --- The No. 56 Fresno State women's tennis team arrived in Malibu Friday afternoon and came out victorious over No. 33 Pepperdine 4-3 in the Bulldogs first win over the Waves since 2009. The 'Dogs are now 2-1 on the year with both wins coming against higher ranked opponents.
"I'm so proud of the girls today for their effort," said head coach Ryan Stotland. "We had a last minute change to our line up but our players came ready to play today and every single one of them stepped up. It's a very big win for our program and we are going to continue to strive to get better and work hard every day."
For the second consecutive match, the Bulldogs rallied in doubles to notch the first point. Pepperdine took the first doubles match at the No. 1 spot when #4 Khunpak Issara and Lorraine Guillermo backed up their national ranking besting Aishwarya Agrawal and Rana Sherif Ahmed 8-4. Fresno State then evened the doubles matches at one as Bianca Modoc and Sophie Watts paired up to record their first dual match this year 8-5 at No. 2.
When singles play began, Pepperdine evened the score, then took at 2-1 lead with wins at No. 3 and No. 1.
Freshman S. Watts recorded her second win for the day at No. 4 by cruising 6-2, 6-3 to tie the match at two apiece. Susdorf followed suit by earning another point for Fresno State as she won convincingly on court five, 6-4, 6-0.
In her first match as a Bulldog, freshman Anneka Watts sealed the win in sweet fashion on court six, giving up only five games over the course of two sets to claim her first career win at Fresno State 6-2, 6-3.
Pepperdine picked up their final point of the day following Watts' clinching victory as #92 Issara topped McQueen 7-6(4), 6-3.
Fresno State is back in action tomorrow as they face #4 USC at noon in Marks Stadium in Los Angeles.
#56 Fresno State 4, #33 Pepperdine 3
1. #104 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-2, 6-1
2. #92 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Melissa McQueen (FS) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Bianca Modoc (FS) 6-2, 7-5
4. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
5. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-4, 6-0
6. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Abigail Phillips (PEP) 6-2, 6-3*
1. #4 Khunpak Issara/Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 8-4
2. Bianca Modoc/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Megan Moore/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 8-5
3. Melissa McQueen/Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Danielle Feneridis/Ale Granillo (PEP) 8-7 (7-3)*
Fresno State 2-1; National ranking #56
Pepperdine 0-2; National ranking #33
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,4,5,6,2)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Be sure to LIKE Fresno State Athletics on Facebook and follow your Bulldogs on Twitter (@FSAthletics).
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|