Feb. 2, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
STOCKTON, Calif. ---The Fresno State women's tennis team fell to No. 37 St. Mary's 4-0 on Sunday at West Lane Club in Stockton, Calif.
"We came up short against a highly ranked St. Mary's team," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "We are competing better, but we still need to learn how to close games out."
The Gaels jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after securing the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and 2. After St. Mary's won on court three, the 'Dogs countered with a win from Sophie Watts and Rana Sherif Ahmed 6-4. The doubles point was clinched when the Gaels were able to outlast the Bulldogs at the top spot, 7-5.
St. Mary's then went on to win the first three singles matches on courts one, three and five to clutch the 4-0 win over the 'Dogs.
"We are starting to turn a corner but we still have a lot to learn," added Stotland. "We will grow from this loss and it will make us better."
The Bulldogs continue their nine-game road trip next weekend when they travel to Manhattan, Kan., to face No. 53 Kansas State and Wichita State in a pair of non-conference duals.
#55 Fresno State 0, No. 37 St. Mary's 4
1. #7 Jenny Jullien (SMC) def. #104 Sophie Watts (FS) 6-2, 6-0
2. Parminder Kaur (SMC) vs. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) unfinished
3. Jamie Pawid (SMC) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-2, 2-6, 10-3
4. Danielle Flores (SMC) vs. Sofya Malysheva (FS) unfinished
5. Catherine Leduc (SMC) def. Anneka Watts (FS) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jade Frampton (SMC) vs. Claire Yang (FS) unfinished
1. Jenny Jullien/Parminder Kaur (SMC) def. #41 Aishwarya Agrawal/Claire Yang (FS) 7-5
2. Danielle Flores/Jamie Pawid (SMC) def. Sofya Malysheva/Tanya Murtagh (FS) 6-2
3. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Jade Frampton/Elizabeth Searl (SMC) 6-4
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|