Bulldogs Defeat Aggies, 5-2
Feb. 5, 2012 By Kate Whitney
By Kate Whitney
DAVIS, Calif. - The Fresno State women's tennis team beat No. 48 UC Davis, 5-2, today at the Aggies' Marya Welch Tennis Center.
After suffering a tough 4-3 lost against Sacramento State yesterday the Bulldogs were back with vengeance. The `Dogs earned the doubles point with early wins from the No. 3 and No. 2 doubles teams.
Junior Bianca Modoc and partner Laura Pola gained the first Bulldog win of the day when they bested UCD's Lauren Curry and Nicole Koehly, 8-1, at No. 3 doubles. In a close match at No. 2 doubles Aishwarya Agrawal and Olga Kirpicheva clinched the doubles win for the Bulldogs over Dahra Zamudio and Layla Sanders, 8-6. Marianne Jodoin and Tanya Murtagh fell to Aggies' Megan Heneghan and Kelly Chui, 9-7, after a back-and-forth battle at No. 1 doubles.
In singles, the `Dogs served the Aggies some powerful competition. Modoc was the first win again for the Bulldogs, besting Ellie Edles, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 6 singles. Bulldogs' newcomer Agrawal defeated Chui 6-3, 6-2, at No. 3 singles, giving her a perfect singles record for the weekend.
The Aggies fought back at No. 4 singles as Curry beat Melissa McQueen, 6-3, 6-2. Then again at No. 2 singles when Aggie, Heneghan bested Kirpicheva, 7-5, 6-2.
The Bulldogs clinched the win at No. 5 singles in a three-set battle. Murtagh faced-off against UCD's Koehly and pulled out the win, 6-0, 2-6, 6-4. The match ended at No. 1 singles where No. 49 Jodoin defeated Chui in three sets, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.
"After a tough loss yesterday we bounced back on the courts," Head Coach Simon Thibodeau said. "Our team is good and will only get better throughout the season."
The `Dogs head home to face-off against Hawai'i in the first conference match of the season on Saturday, Feb. 11 at noon.
Fresno State 5, No. 64 UC Davis 2
(Marya Welch Tennis Center)
1. Megan Heneghan/Kelly Chui (UCD) def. Marianne Jodoin/Tanya Murtagh (FS), 9-7
2. Aishwarya Agrawal/Olga Kirpicheva (FS) def. Dahra Zamudio/Layla Sanders (UCD) 8-6
3. Bianca Modoc/Laura Pola (FS) def. Lauren Curry/Nicole Koehly (UCD) 8-1
1. #49 Marianne Jodoin (FS) def. Dahra Zamudio (UCD) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
2. Megan Heneghan (UCD) def. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) 7-5, 6-2
3. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Kelly Chui (UCD) 6-3, 6-2
4. Lauren Curry (UCD) def. Melissa McQueen (FS) 6-3, 6-2
5. Tanya Murtagh (FS) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD) 6-0, 2-6, 6-4
6. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Ellie Edles (UCD) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish
Doubles (3, 2, 1)
Singles (6, 3, 4, 2, 5, 1)
"We Are Your Team"--For more information on the Fresno State women's tennis team log on to gobulldogs.com