Feb. 8, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
WICHITA, Kan. --- The No. 55 Fresno State women's tennis team was edged 4-3 by Wichita State in a late comeback on Saturday morning at the Wichita Country Club in Wichita, Kan.
"We got up 3-1 and everyone competed better than we have," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "It was the first time we played as a team. I really think this will be the launching point for the rest of the season. It's unfortunate that we lost, but we all had our chances."
The Bulldogs secured the doubles point on courts one and three to take an early 1-0 lead over Wichita State.
Fresno State then carried momentum into singles play as they won two of the first three matches to gain a 3-1 advantage over the Shockers. On court three junior Aishwarya Agrawal took her match over Lucia Kovalova in straight sets to win her second straight match in a row. Teammate Anneka Watts defeated Veronika Blaskova 6-4, 7-5 to win her singles point at the No. 4 spot.
The Shockers then evened the match at 3-3 by winning points on courts five and two. With the score tied the game came down to the final match on court six where Montse Fernandez defeated Tanya Murtagh 6-3, 6-1 to clinch the dual for Wichita State.
Fresno State (1-5) next travels to Washington next weekend to conclude its nine-match road trip with duals against Idaho, Washington State and No. 69 Princeton.
#55 Fresno State 2, #53 Kansas State 4
1. Julia Schiller (WSUW) def. Sophie Watts (FS) 6-4, 6-4
2. Rebecca Pedrazzi (WSUW) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 5-7, 7-6 (7-2), 10-4
3. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Lucia Kovalova (WSUW) 7-5, 6-4
4. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Veronika Blaskova (WSUW) 6-2, 7-5
5. Abby Stevens (WSUW) def. Anne Susdorf (FS) 6-4, 7-5
6. Montse B. Fernandez (WSUW) def. Tanya Murtagh (FS) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 3,1,4,5,2,6
1. Aishwarya Agrawal/Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Veronika Blaskova/Lucia Kovalova (WSUW) 6-3
2. Montse B. Fernandez/Rebecca Pedrazzi (WSUW) vs. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Tanya Murtagh (FS) 5-3, unfinished
3. Anneka Watts/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Julia Schiller/Abby Stevens (WSUW) 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|