Feb. 9, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. --- The Fresno State women's tennis team downed the Univ. San Francisco 6-1 Saturday afternoon at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. The 'Dogs (3-2) will face Santa Clara Sunday at 11 a.m. at the Degheri Tennis Center.
"The girls did great today," said head coach Ryan Stotland. "We got a good win over a tough USF team. The good thing about these girls is that they have a calming effect because I know they've prepared hard enough to come out and win. They fight hard and that's all you can really ask. We are going to keep working towards our goals."
The Bulldogs started off the morning in spectacular fashion sweeping all three doubles matches to secure the first point. At No. 1, Aishwarya Agrawal and Bianca Modoc rolled 8-4. In their first dual match together, Rana Sherif Ahmed and Melissa McQueen dominated 8-2 on court two, while Olga Kirpicheva and Sophie Watts completed the sweep at No. 3, 8-5.
In singles action, Anne Susdorf dominated in her only appearance of the match giving up only two games in her two set match win 6-2, 6-0. S. Watts also had a solid performance at the fifth spot securing a point with matching sets 6-4, 6-4. The 'Dogs third singles two-set win came from McQueen at No. 3, 7-5, 6-3.
Fresno State also picked up two wins in a third set, ten point tiebreaker. At the second spot Ahmed outlasted her opponent 3-6, 6-3, 1-0.(10-8), while teammate Bianca Modoc held strong after dropping the first set to go on and win 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-2).
#56 Fresno State 6, University of San Francisco 1
1. Andrea Ka (USF) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Sofia Holmberg (USF) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Milica Hadzi-Tanovic (USF) 7-5, 6-3
4. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Brooke Irish (USF) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-2)
5. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Marina Nikolic (USF) 6-4, 6-4
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Yuri Hashiquchi (USF) 6-2, 6-0
1. Aishwarya Agrawal/Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Andrea Ka/Sofia Holmberg (USF) 8-4
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Yuri Hashiquchi/Milica Hadzi-Tanovic (USF) 8-2
3. Olga Kirpicheva/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Melinda Akerbrant/Marina Nikolic (USF) 8-5
Fresno State 3-2; National ranking #56
University of San Francisco 3-2
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Be sure to LIKE Fresno State Athletics on Facebook and follow your Bulldogs on Twitter (@FSAthletics).
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|