Feb. 10, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
SANTA CLARA, Calif. --- Despite a slow start to the match, the No. 56 Fresno State women's tennis team relied on seniority in singles to clinch a 4-3 victory Sunday afternoon over Santa Clara. Three of the four Bulldog points came from the team's three seniors.
"I'm proud of the girls," head coach Ryan Stotland said. "We didn't come out strong in doubles and play as a team, but when it counted the girls really stepped up and supported each other. Singles was great as they really persevered through some very tough times and they had a lot of guts to pull this match out. This was a very, very tough Santa Clara team that can give a lot of people trouble and we are glad we got the victory."
Santa Clara jumped out to an early lead in the match as they won the doubles point. The Broncos won convincingly on court one and just snuck by at No. 3 to snag the point. Senior Melissa McQueen and freshman Rana Sherif Ahmed recorded their second straight victory at the two spot winning 8-4.
When singles action began the three seniors dominated at their positions in the lineup to secure three points. McQueen cruised at No. 3 giving up only three games in a 6-2, 6-1 win, her second of the day. Olga Kirpicheva had a solid showing in her return to the singles line up at the four spot topping her opponent 6-3. 6-4. At No. 5, Bianca Modoc rounded out the senior wins for the 'Dogs winning convincingly 6-2, 6-2.
The fourth point was secured by the only freshman in the singles lineup for the 'Dogs as Ahmed bounced back from dropping her first set 3-6 and made a statement by winning the next two sets 6-4, 6-2.
"This was a good victory and everyone will be ready to go next we. The next match we will prepare for and we will take the lessons that we learned from this one and get better.
Fresno State will wrap up their month long road trip next weekend as they travel to Arizona to face Univ. of Arizona and Arizona State on Friday and Saturday.
Fresno State 4, Santa Clara 3
1. #26 Katie Le (SC) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-1, 6-4
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Kelly Lamble (SC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Stephanie Skaras (SC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) def. Delphine Rouvillois (SC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Maggie McGeorge (SC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Chelby Cooke (SC) def. Anne Susdorf (FS) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (9-7)
1. Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SC) def. Aishwarya Agrawal/Bianca Modoc (FS) 8-0
2. Melissa McQueen/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Maggie McGeorge/Kelly Lamble (SC) 8-4
3. Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillois (SC) def. Olga Kirpicheva/Sophie Watts (FS) 9-7
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - Be sure to LIKE Fresno State Athletics on Facebook and follow your Bulldogs on Twitter (@FSAthletics).
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|