Feb. 13, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
PULLMAN, Wash. ---The No. 66 Fresno State women's tennis was edged 4-3 by Idaho on Thursday night at the Simmelink Tennis Courts in Pullman, Wash.
"It was a hard fought battle, we put ourselves in bad situations and Idaho was very relaxed in clutch moments," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "I hope this will serve as a huge learning curve for our young team."
Fresno State trailed Idaho early in the day as the Vandals took the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. Sophie Watts and Anneka Watts won their third straight doubles match together on court three for the 'Dogs.
The Bulldogs then came back in singles with wins on courts two, four and five. Rana Sherif Ahmed, Anneka Watts and Sofya Malysheva all won their respected points for Fresno State in straight sets over the Vandals.
With the match tied 3-3 the final decision came down to No. 6 spot. In a tough dual Idaho's Belen Barcenilla defeated Anne Susdorf in three sets (4-6, 6-3, 6-3) to clinch the dual.
"We just didn't finish today, the only thing we can do is move on and get ready for tomorrow," added Stotland.
The Bulldogs (1-6) are set to dual Washington State tomorrow at 12 p.m. at the Simmelink Tennis Courts. Live scoring will be available here.
Idaho 4, Fresno State 3
1. Victoria Lozano (ID) def. Sophie Watts (FS) 7-6 (1-0), 6-2
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Almudena Sanz (ID) 6-0, 6-2
3. Galina Bykova (ID) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-3, 6-1
4. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Sophie Vickers (ID) 6-2, 6-1
5. Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Beatriz Flores (ID) 6-4, 6-1
6. Belen Barcenilla (ID) def. Anne Susdorf (FS) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. Almudena Sanz/Victoria Lozano (ID) def. Aishwarya Agrawal/Sofya Malysheva (FS) 8-5
2. Galina Bykova/Rita Bermudez (ID) def. Tanya Murtagh/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 8-6
3. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Sophie Vickers/Belen Barcenilla (ID) 8-3
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|