Feb. 23, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. ---The Fresno State women's won its second straight dual on Sunday afternoon with a conference victory over Boise State at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
"We had a great win today over conference rival Boise State," said head coach Ryan Stotland. "They are a very good team and have great energy, but we didn't back down which was a great learning tool for us. We played very well, we are getting better every day and it is great to see the team starting to gel as we head into conference play."
After splitting the first two doubles matches with the Broncos on courts one and three, Sophie Watts and Anneka Watts came through for Fresno State at No. 2, clinching the doubles point with an 8-6 win over Teal Vosburgh and Megan LaLone. This was the Watts twin's seventh-straight doubles victory as a pair this season.
With a 1-0 advantage, the Bulldogs carried their momentum straight into singles winning the next three points to clinch the Mountain West dual.
Sofya Malysheva blazed the trail for the 'Dogs in singles, taking her match 6-3, 6-2 on court five. Anneka Watts and Aishwarya Agrawal won their points shortly after at No. 4 and 3 to clinch the dual.
With the match decided, play was carried out on courts one, six and two. The Bulldogs won two of the next three matches against Broncos for a final match score of 6-1.
"We played great and had great singles play, I thought everyone really played well and stepped up today," added Stotland. "Beating a good team 6-1 is very impressive, kudos for the team for coming out ready and holding it down our home court. I was very proud of them today."
After going 2-0 at home this weekend, the Bulldogs (4-7, 1-0 MW) have a week off before traveling down south to face Pepperdine on March 8 and UC Santa Barbara on March 9.
Fresno State 6, Boise State 1
1. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Sandy Vo (BSU) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Anissa Bryant-Swift (BSU) 7-6 (4), 2-6, 7-5
3. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Teal Vosburgh (BSU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Milena Toseva (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Morgan Basil (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Megan LaLone (BSU) def. Claire Yang (FS) 7-6 (3), 6-3
1. Aishwarya Agrawal/Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Sandy Vo/Morgan Basil (BSU) 8-6
2. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Teal Vosburgh/Megan LaLone (BSU) 8-6
3. Anissa Bryant-Swift/Milena Toseva (BSU) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Claire Yang (FS) 8-7 (2)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,4,3,1,6,2)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|