March 8, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
MALIBU, Calif. ---The Bulldogs' three-match winning streak was broke on Saturday afternoon with a 6-1 loss to No. 38 Pepperdine at Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center in Malibu, Calif.
"We competed well against a tough Pepperdine team, but we didn't capitalize on our opportunities which you have to do against good teams," said Fresno State graduate assistant coach Melissa McQueen. "We will learn from our mistakes and be ready for UCSB tomorrow."
The Waves jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after securing the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and 3. After Pepperdine won on court three, the 'Dogs countered with a win from Sophie Watts and Anneka Watts8-5. The doubles point was clinched when the Waves were able to outlast the Bulldogs at the top spot, 8-6.
The Watts twins are now 8-0 in doubles dual match play this season.
Pepperdine then went on to win 5-of-6 singles matches to win the dual 6-1. Sophomore Sofya Malysheva had the Bulldogs sole point of the day with a win over Christine Maddox in straight sets at the No. 5 spot.
The Bulldogs (4-8, 2-0 MW) look to bounce back quickly as they face UC Santa Barbara tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. at the Rec Cen Courts in Santa Barbara, Calif.
Fresno State 1, No. 38 Pepperdine 6
1. #23 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Sophie Watts (FS) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
2. Matea Cutura (PEP) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-1, 6-1
4. Yuki Chiang (PEP) def. Anneka Watts (FS) 6-3, 6-2
5. Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Christine Maddox (PEP) 7-6, 6-0
6. #120 A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Anne Susdorf (FS) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
1. Lorraine Guillermo/A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Aishwarya Agrawal/Sofya Malysheva (FS) 8-6
2. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Michaela Capannolo/Yuki Chiang (PEP) 8-5
3. Matea Cutura/Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Anne Susdorf (FS) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,4,6,2,1)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|