March 9, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. ---The Fresno State women's tennis team pulled through to defeat UC Santa Barbara 4-3 on Sunday afternoon at Rec Cen Courts. The Bulldogs have now won four of their last five dual matches played.
"It was a good win, we fought hard today," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "We will take it, and are excited to come home next week. We know we play a lot better there."
The Bulldogs took an early 1-0 lead after earning the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. Sophie Watts and Anneka Watts defeated Priscila Garcia and April Scatliffe (8-3) at No. 1, while Sofya Malysheva and Aishwarya Agrawaltook their match over Kaiulani Boyer and Stacy Yam (8-4) at No. 2.
The Watts twins are now 9-0 in doubles dual match play this season.
Fresno State then went on to win three singles matches to clinch the dual 4-3 over UC Santa Barbara. Sophie Watts took her point at the top spot in straight sets while teammate Rana Sherif Ahmed came from behind to defeat the Gaucho's Kaiulani Boyer on court two. Sophomore Anneka Watts won the final point for the 'Dogs at the four slate in three sets.
After splitting two road matches this weekend, the Bulldogs (5-8, 1-0 MW) return to Fresno for a five-match home stand where they are 2-0 in dual match play.
Fresno State first faces UT Arlington at the Sierra Racquet Club on March 16 at 11 a.m. The 'Dogs then host four-straight at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center, facing Dartmouth on March 18 and Denver on March 20. Fresno State then closes the home play with two conference matches against San Diego State (March 28) and UNLV (March 30).
Fresno State 4, UC Santa Barbara 3
1. Sophie Watts (FS) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Kaiulani Boyer (UCSB) 2-6, 7-6, 6-3
3. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Sofya Malysheva (FS) 1-6, 7-6, 7-6
4. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
5. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Claire Yang (FS) 6-0, 6-3
6. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Anne Susdorf (FS) 1-6, 7-5, 6-2
1. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Priscila Garcia/April Scatliffe (UCSB) 8-3
2. Sofya Malysheva/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Kaiulani Boyer/Stacy Yam (UCSB) 8-4
3. Luisa Ortiz Candido/Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Tanya Murtagh (FS) 8-4
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|