March 16, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. --- The Fresno State women's tennis team swept UT Arlington 4-0 on Sunday afternoon at Sierra Racquet Club. The Bulldogs remain undefeated at home and have now won five of their last six matches played.
"I am very proud of the girls, it seems like every single match we have gotten better and better which is great to see," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "We have had a really good run lately and we are planning on finishing the season strong."
The Bulldogs got out to an early lead after winning the doubles point with victories on all three courts to head into singles competition up 1-0.
The 'Dogs then took three quick singles matches to clinch the match over UT Arlington. Sophie Watts, Aishwarya Agrawal and Anne Susdorf all won their respected points in straight sets, dominating the Mavericks 4-0.
"The team keeps improving which shows in our matches, we keep finding a way to win and our strategy is getting a lot better," added Stotland. "We had a great support out here at Sierra Racquet Club today and we are excited to play in front of such a great fan base in our upcoming home matches."
Fresno State (6-8, 1-0 MW) continues its five match home stand with two matches in the next four days. The Bulldogs next host Dartmouth on March 18 and Denver on March 20 at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
Fresno State 4, UT Arlington 0
1. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Giada D'ortona (UTA) 6-2, 6-1
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) vs. Elizabeth Thoms (UTA) unfinished
3. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Angeles de los Rios (UTA) 6-2, 6-3
4. Sofya Malysheva (FS) vs. Astrid Gehre (UTA) unfinished
5. Anneka Watts (FS) vs. Jessica Birowski (UTA) unfinished
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Verena Scott (UTA) 6-2, 6-0
1. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Ekaterina Tugarinova/Astrid Gehre (UTA) 8-1
2. Sofya Malysheva/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Angeles de los Rios/Elizabeth Thoms (UTA) 8-3
3. Anne Susdorf/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Jessica Birowski/Giada D'ortona (UTA) 8-6
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|