March 18, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. --- The Fresno State women's tennis team defeated Dartmouth 5-2 on Tuesday night to remain undefeated at home this season. The Bulldogs have now won six of their last seven matches played.
"I think we learned a lot today from Dartmouth, they are a very mentally tough team," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "To come out on top against a team like that says a lot about us, we believed in ourselves today."
Fresno State gained an early lead taking the doubles point over the Big Green with wins at the No. 2 and 3 slates.
After dropping the first doubles match at the top spot, Sofya Malysheva and Aishwarya Agrawal defeated Akiko Okuda and Melissa Matsuoka (8-3). With doubles split 1-1 Anne Susdorf and Rana Sherif Ahmed came from behind on court three to win the tiebreaker 8-7 (6-0) over Darmouth's Julienne Keong and Suzy Tan to win the doubles point for the 'Dogs.
After the Bulldogs retired on court two, Sophie Watts won her match at No. 1 followed by Susdorf's win at No. 6 to put Fresno State up 3-1. Both players took their matches in straight sets, 6-0, 6-4.
Dartmouth took the next point on court three before Malysheva clinched the dual match for the Bulldogs with a comeback victory on court four, (5-7, 6-3, 6-1).
With the match decided, Anneka Watts played out her match at the five spot defeating Sarah Bessen 4-6, 6-3, 2-2 (7-3).
"It feel great to be undefeated at home, we know we play really well here," added Stotland. "We have five more matches to go, three of them being at home, we are excited to close the season with a home stretch like that."
The Bulldogs (7-8, 1-0 MW) continue their five-match home stand when they host No. 58 Denver on Thursday at 5 p.m. at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
Fresno State 5, Dartmouth 2
1. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Katherine Yau (DART) 6-0, 6-4
2. Taylor Ng (DART) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 5-2, retired
3. Melissa Matsuoka (DART) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
4. Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Akiko Okuda (DART) 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
5. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Sarah Bessen (DART) 4-6, 6-3, 2-2 (7-3)
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Julienne Keong (DART) 6-0, 6-4
1. Katherine Yau/Taylor Ng (DART) def. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) 8-2
2. Sofya Malysheva/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Akiko Okuda/Melissa Matsuoka (DART) 8-3
3. Anne Susdorf/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Julienne Keong/Suzy Tan (DART) 8-7 (6-0)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,1,6,3,4,5)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|