March 18, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. --- The No. 61 Fresno State women's tennis team couldn't hold off the late charging No. 42 Kansas State Wildcats Monday evening at the Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. On the strength of doubles and four singles wins, K-State topped the Bulldogs 5-2.
"First off thank you to the fans," said head coach Ryan Stotland. "You all made it a great college tennis atmosphere and it was one of the better matches that we have had. It is disappointing to lose, but you have to give it to Kansas State. They handled the pressure and the mental aspect a little better than us. We had our chances, but they kept their composure and that's what makes them a top team."
Fresno State put the pressure on early in doubles as the duo of Melissa McQueen and Rana Sherif Ahmed dominated Kansas State's Amina St. Hill and Ivana Kubickova 8-1 at No.2. The Wildcats rallied at the top spot and the #32 ranked duo of Karla Boancic and Petra Niedermayerova won 8-5. K-State was able to pull out the doubles point with another 8-5 win, this time on court three.
Entering singles, the Bulldogs gave themselves a great chance at upsetting the higher ranked Cats by winning four of the six first sets, but K-State had too much fire power late.
Niedermayerova, who is ranked #15 in the country in singles, added to the Wildcats lead despite a valiant effort from the freshman Ahmed.
Freshman Sophie Watts cut the deficit to 2-1 as she hung tough in a 7-5 first set and rolled through the second set 6-0. Senior McQueen tied the match at two apiece after battling back from dropping the first set 4-6 and winning the match with 6-3, 6-4 second and third sets.
The final three matches on court all went to third sets with each team needing to win two of the three. Kansas State prevailed in the end 5-2 after taking all three final singles matches.
"Again, we had our chances, but we just need to learn from it and get better for Thursday's match and keep improving," Stotland said.
The 'Dogs host Pacific on Thursday at 3 p.m. for their third straight home contest.
#42 Kansas State 5, #61 Fresno State 2
1. #15 Petra Niedermayerova (KS) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 6-4, 6-2
2. Karla Boancic (KS) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
3. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Ivana Kubickova (KS) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Amina St. Hill (KS) 7-5, 6-0
5. Carmen Borau Ramos (KS) def. Bianca Modoc (FS) 3-6, 7-6 (12-10), 6-0
6. Ana Gomez Aleman (KS) def. Anneka Watts (FS) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
1. #32 Karla Boancic/Petra Niedermayerova (KS) def. Bianca Modoc/Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 8-5
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Amina St. Hill/Ivana Kubickova (KS) 8-1
3. Ana Gomez Aleman/Carmen Borau Ramos (KS) def. Olga Kirpicheva/Anneka Watts (FS) 8-5
Fresno State 8-5; National ranking #61
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,3,5,6,2)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - All Fresno State home tennis matches can be followed with live results on gobulldogs.com.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|