March 20, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. --- In a hard fought team effort, the Fresno State women's tennis team defeated No. 58 Denver 6-1 on Thursday night at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center. The win over the Pioneers marks the Bulldogs fourth straight victory and improves them at 5-0 at home this season.
"I am very proud of the team, we came out to play today," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "Anytime you can beat a team like that as handily as we did is great, we feel pretty good about ourselves moving forward."
The Bulldogs took charge from the beginning of the dual, winning the doubles point with wins on the top two courts to gain an early lead over the Pioneers.
Fresno State then carried the momentum into singles play, winning the first set on five of the six courts which led to three straight singles victories.
Anneka Watts was the first to finish in singles, taking her match in straight sets (6-0, 6-2) over the Pioneers to put the Bulldogs up 2-0. Sophie Watts followed quickly, taking her match at the top spot to extend the 'Dogs lead to 3-0.
Junior Aishwarya Agrawal then clinched the dual match for Fresno State at 4-0 with a win at No. 3 over Kathryn Hughes (6-1, 2-6, 6-1).
"It's great that we have won seven out of eight, we are playing our best tennis of the year right now as we should be and we are excited to get some more conference play in at home this week," added Stotland.
The Bulldogs have now won seven of their last eight matches played to improve to 8-8, 1-0 MW this season. Fresno State has a week off before concluding its five match home stand with two conference games against San Diego State (March 28) and UNLV (March 30).
Fresno State 6, Denver 1
1. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Maureen Slattery (DU-W) 7-5, 6-3
2. Caroline Schnell (DU-W) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
3. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Kathryn Hughes (DU-W) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
4. Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Sonja Radosevic (DU-W) 6-3, 7-5
5. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Evy Van Genechten (DU-W) 6-0, 6-2
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Charlotte Derbyshire (DU-W) 7-5, 3-6, 10-4
1. Anneka Watts/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Kathryn Hughes/Sonja Radosevic (DU-W) 8-4
2. Aishwarya Agrawal/Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Caroline Schnell/Michelle Garpenlov (DU-W) 8-6
3. Anne Susdorf/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Maureen Slattery/Natalie Dunn (DU-W) 8-7 (7-2)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,1,3,2,4,6)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|