March 28, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. --- Extending its win streak to five straight matches, the No. 74 Fresno State women's tennis team dominated Mountain West opponent San Diego State, 6-1 on Friday afternoon at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
"This was a great win for us to come in against a very tough conference opponent, and to beat them 6-1 is a great feat for us," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "San Diego State doesn't give anything away, we had to come in and earn it."
Improving to 9-8, 2-0 MW this season, the Bulldogs win over the Aztecs helped them remain undefeated (6-0) at home in dual play this spring. Dating back to last season, this was Fresno States 10th straight victory at home.
"We competed really well and came out of the gates ready to defend our home court," added Stotland. "We are looking forward to one more match on Sunday."
The 'Dogs came out with fire today and started the day off strong winning the doubles point over San Diego State. On the top court Sophie Watts and Anneka Watts paired to defeated Dora Somoracz and Hailey Johnson of SDSU 8-2, just moments latter teammates Aishwarya Agrawal and Sofya Malysheva clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 win over the Aztecs on court two.
Fresno State then dominated singles play- winning 5-of-6 matches to defeat the Aztecs for its second conference won of the season.
The Bulldogs have now won eight of their last nine matches played this season and look to continue strong home play as they host UNLV for its second conference dual of the weekend on Sunday at 10 a.m. at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
No. 74 Fresno State 6, San Diego State 1
1. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Laura Antonana (SDSU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
2. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Kristin Buth (SDSU) 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-5)
3. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) 6-2, 7-5, 1-2
4. Kennedy Davis (SDSU) def. Sofya Malysheva (FS) 6-1, 6-3
5. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Dora Somoracz (SDSU) 1-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
1. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Dora Somoracz/Hailey Johnson (SDSU) 8-2
2. Aishwarya Agrawal/Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Kristin Buth/Kennedy Davis (SDSU) 8-4
3. Tanya Murtagh/Anne Susdorf (FS) vs. Laura Antonana/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) 6-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,3,1,6,5,2)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|