March 30, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
FRESNO, Calif. ---The No. 74 Fresno State women's tennis team defended its home courts and fought past Mountain West opponent UNLV in a 4-3 marathon on Sunday afternoon at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center.
Improving to 10-8, 3-0 MW this season, the Bulldogs huge win over the UNLV helped them finish undefeated (7-0) at home this spring. This is the first undefeated home season Fresno State has had since 2009, the same year the Bulldogs went on to win the conference title and improve to the NCAA Tournament.
"It is a great feat to be undefeated at home for the season, and we will take that and use that towards our last three matches before the conference tournament," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "We are very excited to finish against a very good UNLV team. They made it very close today."
After winning the crucial doubles point over the Rebels, all six singles matches were pushed to three sets in very competitive play.
UNLV took the first two point on courts one and two to take a 2-1 advantage over the 'Dogs. Fresno State then rallied, winning the next three matches on courts 4-6 to clinch the dual. Sofya Malysheva won her point at No. 4 in the third set tie breaker while Anneka Watts and Anne Susdorfwon their respeceted points in the third sets.
"Most matches don't have all the matches go to three sets, so it shows how mentally tough we are, we clawed, fought and dug our way to this victory,"added Stotland. "It is a great moment to be a Bulldog as we fished with a win at home. Winning nine out of 10 is a quite a feat, our girls are really excited to finish the season strong and get ready for the conference tournament."
Winners of nine of their last 10 dual matches played, the Bulldogs are set to close regular season with three road duals at San Jose State (April 11) , Nevada (April 13) and Cal Poly (April 18). Fresno State then hosts the 2014 Mountain West tournament at Sierra Sport and Racquet Club April 23-27.
No. 74 Fresno State 4, UNLV 3
1. #58 Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. #70 Sophie Watts (FS) 6-1, 5-7, 6-1
2. Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-2
4. Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Santa Shumilina (UNLV) 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Anneka Watts (FS) def. Kamelia Dimitrova (UNLV) 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
6. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Paola Artiga (UNLV) 6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 6-3
1. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Lucia Batta/Santa Shumilina (UNLV) 8-4
2. Aishwarya Agrawal/Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Kamelia Dimitrova/Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) 8-1
3. Tanya Murtagh/Anne Susdorf (FS) vs. Iren Kotseva/Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) 6-7, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,2,5,4,6,3)
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|