April 5, 2013
By Stephanie Juncker
By Stephanie Juncker
FRESNO, Calif. --- With a 7-0 sweep over the Air Force Academy Friday afternoon, the Fresno State women's tennis team moved into first place in the Mountain West with three conference victories and the second straight MW win. The Bulldogs will go for three in a row and finish the home season tomorrow on Senior Day at 1 p.m. versus Colorado State.
"Today's match was great," said head coach Ryan Stotland. "Winning 7-0 is always good and always tough to do. Everybody came out and everyone was excited. Air Force has some good wins this year, but when we all come out and play we are a very good team."
The 'Dogs came out swinging in doubles as they swept all three courts. Olga Kirpicheva and Aishwarya Agrawal dominated at No. 3 defeating Tiffany Tran and Marcelli Magday 8-1. Bianca Modoc and Sophie Watts clinched the point for Bulldogs for the second consecutive day on court two winning 8-4. Melissa McQueen and Rana Sherif Ahmed rounded out the sweep with an 8-3 victory at the top spot.
Modoc put the Bulldogs ahead 2-0 as she only relinquished a single game in her 6-1, 6-0 singles match at No. 5. Her doubles partner Watts follow suit cruising 6-2, 6-1 on court four.
Agrawal clinched the match for Fresno State at No. 2 with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Tran. Kirpicheva continued the Bulldogs' winning ways on court six by outlasting Mary Meyers 7-5, 6-3. McQueen recorded her tenth singles dual match win, the second most and 67th of her career, as she topped Hannah Dake 6-2, 6-4 on court three.
For the second consecutive match, Ahmed was the last on the court at No. 1 with the rest of the team watching. Ahmed won a tight first set 6-4, but fell 3-6 in the second. With the match having already been clinched, Ahmed and Molina played a super tiebreaker during which the Bulldog freshman led the majority of the time and pulled out an 11-9 win.
#60 Fresno State 7, Air Force 0
1. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Christine Molina (AF) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Tiffany Tran (AF) 6-1, 6-2
3. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Hannah Dake (AF) 6-2, 6-4
4. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Natasha Rizvi (AF) 6-2, 6-1
5. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Melissa Cecil (AF) 6-1, 6-0
6. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) def. Mary Meyers (AF) 7-5, 6-3
1. Melissa McQueen/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Hannah Dake/Melissa Cecil (AF) 8-3
2. Bianca Modoc/Sophie Watts (FS) def. Christine Molina/Natasha Rizvi (AF) 8-4
3. Aishwarya Agrawal/Olga Kirpicheva (FS) def. Tiffany Tran/Marcelli Magday (AF) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,4,2,6,3,1)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics" - All Fresno State home tennis matches can be followed with live results on gobulldogs.com.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|