April 6, 2008
FRESNO, Calif. - The 16th-ranked Fresno State women's tennis team was edged 4-3 by the Pepperdine Waves on Sunday at the Wathen Tennis Center. Despite winning the doubles point, the Bulldogs were only able to capture two singles wins as Pepperdine rallied for the victory.
The first team to finish with a win in doubles was 30th- ranked Renata Kucerkova and Anastasia Petukhova on court No. 2. They won their match early with an 8-4 victory over 49th-ranked Braverman and Bhargava.
"We had good energy in doubles today, we just need to keep getting better at each position in singles," head coach Simon Thibodeau said.
Winning the doubles point gave the Bulldogs the advantage and led them into the singles matches leading Pepperdine 1-0.
Ranked No. 14 in the country and playing at the No. 1 spot, Melanie Gloria came out strong with a win over 77th-ranked Sylvia Kosakowski 6-1, 6-4.
Petukhova ranked 21st in the country was victorious on court No. 2 over 74th-ranked Anamika Bhargava, beating her 6-4, 6-4.
This was the second of an eight-match homestand for the Bulldogs. The 'Dogs will continue next week with a doubleheader against Hawai'i at 10 a.m. and 37th-ranked St Mary's at 4 p.m. at the Wathen Tennis Center.
NCAA Women's Tennis
Wathen Tennis Center (Fresno, Calif.)
April 6, 2008
No. 26 Pepperdine def. No. 16 Fresno State, 4-3
Doubles (Fresno State wins doubles point)
1) No. 10 Kosakowski/Dulgheru (PEP) def. No. 4 Gloria/Rowe (FS), 8-7 (3)
2) No. 30 Kucerkova/Petukhova (FS) def. No. 49 Braverman/Bhargava (PEP), 8-4
3) Beatty/Haskett (FS) def. Rice/ Bandere (PEP), 8-5
Order of Completion: 2, 3, 1
1) No. 14 Melanie Gloria (FS) def. No. 77 Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP), 6-1, 6-4
2) No. 21 Anastasia Petukhova (FS) def. No. 74 Anamika Bhargava (PEP), 6-4, 6-4
3) Bianca Dulgheru (PEP) def. Renata Kucerkova (FS), 6-4, 6-0
4) Anete Bandere (PEP) def. Tinesta Rowe (FS), 6-2, 0-6, 6-2
5) Jill Braverman (PEP) def. Jacqueline Haskett (FS), 6-4, 0-6, 6-1
6) Tania Rice (PEP) def. Danon Beatty (FS), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Completion: 1, 6, 2, 3, 4, 5
Records:Fresno State (11-7); Pepperdine (15-4)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|