April 11, 2014
By Kasandra Martinson
By Kasandra Martinson
SAN JOSE, Calif. --- The No. 74 Fresno State women's tennis team defended its undefeated Mountain West record by taking down San Jose State 5-2 on Friday afternoon at the Spartan Tennis Complex in San Jose, Calif.
"Today we had a very impressive win as Aishwarya could not play and everyone stepped up," said Fresno State head coach Ryan Stotland. "San Jose State is a very dangerous team and to beat them the way we did really showed our growth as a team."
With Aishwaraya Agarawal out at the No. 3 spot, the whole team came together and dealt with the adversity and defeated the Spartans to improve to 11-8, 4-0 MW on the year.
Fresno State took the doubles point over San Jose State with close wins on courts two and three. Sofya Malysheva and Rana Sherif Ahmed defeated Julianna Bacelar and Jessica Willett in the tiebreaker 8-7 (4). Anne Susdorf paired with Tanya Murtagh and won their match on court three 8-6.
After helping take the doubles point for the Bulldogs, Murtagh had a huge day sliding in at the No. 6 slate to defeat Deleval Justine of San Jose State in straight sets (6-2, 6-2) for her first singles dual win of the season.
Sophomore Sophie Watts, Malysheva and Susdorf all won their respected singles points in two sets to seal the 'Dogs fourth MW win of the season. Susdorf's win on court five extended her singles win streak to seven, which is the longest current streak of any Bulldog.
"We are very excited to head to Reno to try and finish the season undefeated in conference," added Stotland.
Fresno State (11-8, 4-0 MW) is set to play its final conference dual of the season on Sunday against the Nevada Wolf Pack at 11 a.m. at the Caughlin Athletic Club in Reno, Nev.
Fresno State 5, San Jose State 2
1. Sophie Watts (FS) def. Klocker, Marie (SJSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Rey, Gaelle (SJSU) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 6-4, 7-6 (0-4)
3. Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Leon Chao, Sabastian (SJSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Bacelar, Julianna (SJSU) def. Anneka Watts (FS) 6-4, 7-5
5. Anne Susdorf (FS) def. Willett, Jessica (SJSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Tanya Murtagh (FS) def. Deleval, Justine (SJSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Klocker, Marie/Rey, Gaelle (SJSU) def. Anneka Watts/Sophie Watts (FS) 8-7
2. Sofya Malysheva/Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) def. Bacelar, Julianna/Willett, Jessica (SJSU) 8-7
3. Anne Susdorf/Tanya Murtagh (FS) def. Deleval, Justine/Leon Chao, Sabastian (SJSU) 8-6
"Catch the Wave"--Stay connected with the Bulldogs on Facebook (fresnostateathletics), Instagram (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics)
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|