April 21, 2012 By Kate Whitney
By Kate Whitney
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The No. 48 Fresno State women's tennis team beat Cal Poly, 5-2, on Saturday at Mustang Courts.
The Bulldogs swept the Mustangs at all three doubles positions to earn a 1-0 lead going into singles play.
The Mustangs gained momentum early in singles earning back-to-back wins at the No. 5 and 6 positions. However, that was as far as the Bulldogs would allow the Cal Poly team to go. Junior Bianca Modoc evened the score at No. 4 singles with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Kathryn Webb.
Freshman Aishwarya Agrawal defeated Jocelyn Davis , 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2 spot and then 42nd-ranked singles player Marianne Jodoin clinched the team win with her 7-5, 7-6 defeat of Alexa Lee, at No. 1. Junior Melissa McQueen finished up the match by defeating Jen Cornea, 7-6, 6-4, at No. 3 singles.
The Bulldogs return home tomorrow to face-off against LMU at 1 p.m. at Spalding G. Wathen Tennis Center and recognize senior Laura Pola for Senior Day.
No. 48 Fresno State 5, Cal Poly 2
April 21, 2012
Mustang Courts (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
1. No. 42 Marianne Jodoin (FS) def. Alexa Lee (CP), 7-5, 7-6
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. Jocelyn Davis (CP), 6-2, 6-3
3. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Jen Cornea (CP), 7-6, 6-4
4. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Kathryn Webb (CP), 6-2, 6-1
5. Gabby Gatewood (CP) def. Laura Pola (FS), 6-1, 6-2
6. Ane McPike (CP) def. Tanya Murtagh (FS), 4-6, 2-0 (ret.)
(5, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3)
1. Jodoin/Pola (FS) def. Lee/Davis (CP), 8-6
2. Agrawal/Modoc (FS) def. McPike/Webb (CP), 8-3
3. McQueen/Murtagh (FS) def. Gatewood/Kuipers (CP), 8-5
(2, 3, 1)
"Discover Fresno State Athletics!"-- You can always stay connected with Fresno State Athletics on Facebook (fresnostateathletics) and Twitter (@FSAthletics).
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|