April 24, 2009
FRESNO, Calif. - The host Hawai'i Wahine brought a hostile crowd and a strong effort, but it wasn't enough thwart the 16th-ranked Fresno State women's tennis team, as the Bulldogs collected a 4-0 victory in the semifinals of the WAC Tournament Friday in Honolulu, Hawai'i.
With the win, Fresno State advances to the WAC title match to face Boise State for its eighth-straight WAC Championship on Saturday at 3 p.m. PT.
"I thought we played with a lot of focus," head coach Simon Thibodeau said. "It's good to beat Hawai'i on its home court; the Wahine had a lot of fans supporting them. We just need to keep the focus for the championship."
Although the Bulldogs picked up their second sweep of the tournament, Hawai'i put up more a match than the score indicates, leading at various points in various individual matches.
However, one of those matches was not in No. 1 doubles. Renata Kucerkova and Anastasia Petukhova reminded all in attendance why they were not only First Team All-WAC selections but the No. 1 team in the country, with an 8-0 victory over Sophie Kobuch and Aglae Van den Bergh. The pair still has not lost a game in the WAC Tournament.
In singles, senior Bruna Paes was the first Bulldog to complete her match, with a 6-2, 6-1 triumph over Alyssa Nafarrete.
Pola was the next to put a team point on the board for the Bulldogs by knocking off Wong, 6-4, 6-2.
For the second-straight match in the WAC Tournament, First Team All-WAC honoree No. 66 Kucerkova clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Peter.
The Bulldogs were leading in the remaining three matches when the match ended.
NCAA WOMEN'S TENNIS
April 24, 2009 - Honolulu, Hawai'i
No. 16 Fresno State def. Hawai'i, 4-0
Doubles (Fresno State wins the doubles point)
1. No. 1 Kucerkova/Petukhova (FS) def. Kobuch/Van den Bergh (UH) 8-0
2. Nafarrete/Linsenbolz (UH) vs. No. 13 Gloria/Rowe (FS) 5-6, unfinished
3. Beatty/Pola (FS) def. Peter/Wong (UH) 8-5
Order of Completion: 1, 3
1. Ellen Linsenbolz (UH) vs. No. 16 Melanie Gloria (FS) 4-6, 0-5, unfinished
2. Sophie Kobuch (UH) vs. No. 25 Anastasia Petukhova (FS) 4-6, 0-3, unfinished
3. No. 66 Renata Kucerkova (FS) def. Anja-Vanessa Peter (UH) 6-2, 6-2
4. Aglae Van den Bergh (UH) vs. Tinesta Rowe (FS) 4-6, 1-3, unfinished
5. Laura Pola (FS) def. Melinda Wong (UH) 6-4, 6-2
6. Bruna Paes (FS) def. Alyssa Nafarrete (UH) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Completion: 6, 5, 3*
"Join the State - Fresno State" - Support the Bulldogs as they travel to Honolulu, Hawai'i, for the WAC Championships from April 23-25. Follow the 'Dogs throughout the season on www.gobulldogs.com.
|Email this article||Printer-friendly format|